Font compatibility between Autocad LT 2010 and Bricscad 11

Hi,

I have two users using the above software. This is what happens:

1) Autocad user modifies the position of text e.g. left, right. then saved.
2) Bricscad user opens the same file. I observed that the font position is not
    the same as in Autocad. Briscad user then saved the file without modification.
3) Autocad user opens the same file, and finds position of text is no longer formatted.

I am not a CAD user so will appreciate if anyone can point my in the correction direction so
that I can solved this issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• The current version of Bricscad is 13, with version 14 arriving next month.  I recommend upgrading to a newer version.  I do not see any differences in dtext rendering between Autocad and Bricscad V13.  I don't use mtext so I can't address any mtext issues.
  • I have occasionally had Acad mtext ('paragraph' text) which will not word wrap properly in Bcad.

I suspect there is a formatting character/s which does not show in Bcad (I can't make Bcad show any formatting characters, it would be helpful).

It can sometimes be fixed it by cutting the text and pasting it back, or pasting into a new edit box.

Sometimes the edit box has no width, stretching it to an appropriate width may fix it.

Also some Acad fonts do not respond to 'width factor' - it seems to stay at 1.

I use Isocp2 (at width=1) for all of my work, don't get complaints from Acad users but few Acad users open my files.

I upgraded to v12 then v13, but overall v11 still works best for me.

Glad v11 can remain alongside later versions and I did not remove it.

• Thanks for all the tips. Will follow through everyone of them.

Just some clarification, John Gaunt. Are not Acad fonts the same as
    Windows font? I remember installing a particular typeface for a Acad user before
    in Windows. What fonts to choose to make it respond to 'width factor'?

And lastly care to explain a little on lsocp2? What exactly is that?

Again thanks for you time ......
  • LT, Acad originally used only its own .shx fonts. Later, the ability to also use windows ttf fonts was added.

.shx fonts are defined in files which instruct plotter pen strokes basically as lines and arcs. Not installed, the files just reside in a directory Acad/Bcad sees.

Most shx fonts are together in one big file.

I rarely use ttf, but I believe the differences are minor in editing a drawing - you just choose a font name of either type which is appropriate.

Isocp is one shx font name, it has been in popular use in Acad from early days.

Most if not all fonts can be squashed or stretched in Acad/Bcad horizontally to a different width from their original design, Isocp happens to be a good width generally without stretching within a drawing.

I believe sometimes something happens to that width setting for a random text line or paragraph, between Acad and Bcad.

• One correction - shx files are each separate, not bundled into one file.

This discussion has been closed.