create DC failed (error 1801: the printer name is invalid)

Hi

I am getting the following error on a workstation that I have loaded Version 14 on.

create DC failed (error 1801: the printer name is invalid)

Any ideas?

Doug

Comments

• Any ideas?

Could you file a supportrequest please? We'll investigate it.
  • I get the same thing for most of our printers. I reported it during the beta ... still not fixed :o(
  • @Don,

I checked and you reported this indeed during the beta, what a pity, it could have been avoided if the analysts involved would have passed it on after they failed to reproduce the issue.
    Well, I just explained that to them.

Concerning the problem at hand: names of network printers which contain spaces, seem to trigger this WxWidgets error message.
    We are working on a fix and preparing an update release for next week.
    As a temporary workaround BricsCAD V13 can be used to print to these printers, or, probably less attractive, the printers could be renamed.
    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

• Update: the initial impression that the spaces in the network printer names triggered the problem was caused by a misleading coincidence.
    The name containing the spaces also was longer than 32 characters and that was the actual trigger. So when renaming a printer to work around this issue, make sure the printer name length, including the name of the network computer, is not longer than 32 characters.
  • Thanks ... will do
  • HI

When do you expect to have this fix into the updated program?   I am right now running my office on the Version 13 trial version (which works properly) and would rather not change the printers name because then none of the printer control files will work on our thousands of existing drawings.   This would force my users to change things when they print. 
  • Renaming printers is not an attractive option indeed, meanwhile a fix has been implemented, an update release is scheduled for mid-next week.
  • Hi Hans  Thank you for your prompt reply on what must be friday night or saturday morning where ever you are.  I'll look forward to the notice.  Have a great weekend.
This discussion has been closed.