Break circle without deleting arc?

I used Autocad LT for years.  The break command would break a circle, arc, or other object with or without removing any segments.   Suppose for instance, that you wanted to change the line properties for part of that object.  I.E. a dashed line for part of an arc, whereas the rest of the arc still was continuous.   There seems to be no easy way to do this in BricsCAD.  It always removes a segment.

Comments?

Comments

• I'd look at the Circle Break lisp routine at www.lee-mac.com
  • Workaround, use PEDIT on the circle?
  • Thanks for the ideas.    I considered using PEDIT, but I'd want to turn it back into an arc after I am done.   Is that even possible?

The LISP file may be the way to go.  Haven't even tried LISP yet on BricsCAD.  Never used to work very good on my Intellicad installation. 

• CircleBreakV1-3.lsp routine as suggested by H Martin works as advertised (on v14).

Both broken segments maintain arc properties.

• To break an arc in two keeping both parts:

start the BREAK command
    select the arc
    Enter "F"    ( to indicate you want to specify a First point that is different from the location where you happened to pick the arc)
    and select the desired break point, twice    (as First and Second point)

That's it,
    kind regards.

• To break an arc in two keeping both parts:

start the BREAK command
    select the arc
    Enter "F"    ( to indicate you want to specify a First point that is different from the location where you happened to pick the arc)
    and select the desired break point, twice    (as First and Second point)

When I try I get this:
    [code]
    : br
    Select entity to break:
    First break point/: f
    First break point: _quadrant
    Snap to _quadrant of:
    Second break point: _quadrant
    Snap to _quadrant of:
    Distinct points are needed to break this entity.
    [/code]
  • @Hans: I was trying a circle but now I see you said an arc.

When I try I get this:
    : brSelect entity to break:First break point/: fFirst break point: _quadrantSnap to _quadrant of:Second break point: _quadrantSnap to _quadrant of:Distinct points are needed to break this entity.    

• If you convert a circle to a polyline and then explode it, you're left with 2 arcs -- a top arc and a bottom arc. If you select both arcs, you can drag the left and right endpoints of those arcs to the points on the circle where you wanted it broken. So you don't actually use the BREAK command, just PEDIT and EXPLODE, plus the responses, and the dragging. For someone who often breaks circles that could all be combined into a single command with no responses.

Lee Mac's CircleBreak lisp routine breaks a circle into two arcs with just a single command and two pick points. It also changes the properties of one of the two arcs, which is usually the reason you wanted the circle broken. But the new properties have to be embedded in the lisp code.

This discussion has been closed.