Screen Resolution changing while in 3D Modeling Workspace

I decided to try out BricsCAD as it appears to meet the criteria (price, features, etc.) I had set for my next CAD software purchase. I played around in the 2D Drafting environment for a little while  and was rather pleased with the experience so I decided to try out the 3D modeling, which is where I ran into a little issue. It appears that whenever I move the cursor over an object or perform an action the Model workspace resolution changes and when finished it reverts back. Is this a failure on my part to properly configure some setting? If so, what one?

Here's a link to a video of the problem: Resolution Changing in 3D Workspace 
I should mention that I have only experienced this when I have SHADEMODE set to Realistic or Modeling, in Wireframe this does not occur.

PC Specs
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: AMD 7970
MEM: 16GB 

Thanks in advance,
Andrew M.

Comments

• Hi Andrew,

I don't get this issue with BricsCAD. I would check that your graphics card is supported, and has the most recent drivers. See BricsCAD System requirements for more info. Note this includes a link to download the latest supported Redway video drivers.

If this doesn't help, I would raise a support request with Bricsys.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts
  • Your description corresponds to what happens when hardware-based rendering is not activated.
    This is controlled by the UseHardwareRendering setting.
    When BricsCAD is started for the first time, it runs a number of tests to assess if your graphics hardware is suitable for Redway-hardware based rendering, for some reason, it chose to fall back to use software-based rendering. You may want to verify how it actually performs when setting UseHardwareRendering On, it is what I did for my notebook, and although it seems to fail for one of the initial tests, the hardware rendering performance I experience is fine.
  •  Jason and Hans, thank you for your replies.

Jason,
        My drivers are up to date, are the drivers available from Redway the same as what is available from AMD or are they different somehow?

Hans,
        The "UseHardwareRendering" setting, is this the one found in Settings-->Program Options-->Rendering-->Render using hardware? If so, I set that option to "[3] Use Hardware only" but it did not eliminate the problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to help,
    Andrew M.
  •  I'm happy to report that I've found a solution to this problem, I went to Settings-->Program Options-->Display-->Graphic system device and set that to [1] WinOpenGL, the notes say it is for testing purposes as it is a work in progress so we'll see if I run into issues later, but for now I am just glad to be able to use the 3D Modeling workspace without the stuttering and pixelation.

If anyone has a suggestion for me to try something else, let me know and I'll give a shot and see if it works.

Thanks,
    Andrew M.
  •  Well, I feel like an idiot now, that didn't work, I had SHADEMODE set to gouraud + edges instead of modeling. Back to the drawing board I guess...
This discussion has been closed.