Modeling a spiral helix sweep - like a wood screw?

I have been using the helix command, along with the sweep command to create an auger shape.  But, now I need to create a version with a tapered end, like what is seen on a wood screw.  I have v14 Platinum, but have not been able to figure out how to do it.  If I create a tapered helix, and then sweep a profile along it, the profile does not go around the center of the helix.  But, does a spiral helix have an implied center?

The sweep command does allow you to specify a base, but not an axis.

-Joe

Comments

• <

div>I don't know if you'll find my process helpful, but I constructed the attached 3D Tapered Auger as an example. Change your Helix, shaft and profile to suit your application. I created my model in V14 Platinum. Good luck.
    Tapered Auger.dwg

• My Illustrations didn't appear properly so I've attached them in a .zip file.
    Sorry

Taper Auger Illustrations.zip

• Thank you very much for the effort you put into making those detailed steps.   Your example helped me to hone in on what is happening.  My prior efforts were more complicated, and I was not understanding how the "base point" seemed to be functioning.

Here is an illustration, where I followed your example, but only did one twist, and then chopped the results down the middle to make them easier to see.  I also added a square box showing how I was expecting the helix to sweep.  Attached is a picture showing the two results, depending on if the helix is spiral or not.

A new problem is now clear to me also.  If you type the height, it does down if you enter a positive number, and if you accept the default (which is the same positive 1" I typed before) the helix goes down.

Thanks again for the advice,
    Joe Dunfee
    imageHelix Sweep Rotation.PNG
  • Dennis,

Nice job of showing how this is done.  
  • I said, A new problem is now clear to me also.  If you type the height, it does down if you enter a positive number, and if you accept the default (which is the same positive 1" I typed before) the helix goes down.

I just caught an error in my statement.  If you accept the default value, the helix goes up.

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.