Creating a new layer, frozen in all viewports

I don't know if I am misunderstanding how this process works, or if there is a problem with the command function.

I have a drawing with several layouts, and several viewports on each layout.  If I need a new layer, I have tried going to a layout and using the VPLAYER/NEW FROZEN LAYER command and option.  However, the new layer I created is only frozen in the viewports on that layout.  The viewports in the other layouts have that layer thawed and visible. Is this how the command was intended to work? 

My work-around has been to create a number of layers called temp1, temp2, etc.  Then I use the vplayer command to freeze all layers named temp*.  Finally, as I need a new layer I just rename one of the temp# layers.

Is there a better way than my current system?

Joe Dunfee

Comments

• As I understand it, New Frozen Layer command freezes layer in all viewports in current layout only (as you've pointed out).

It will also freeze same layer in "new" viewports created in any layout page.

I find it easy enough to freeze said layer (in existing viewports) by selecting that layer and freezing (within viewport).

• Thanks for the confirmation of how it behaves.  The challenge to this process is if you have a lot of viewports and a lot of layouts on a complex drawing.  You have to turn the new layer off in most of the views.  That is why I created the Temp1,Temp2 layer name process. This way I don't have to type the new layer name exactly correct and be able to turn it off everywhere.

-Joe
  • Try: http://www.b-k-g.nl/bkg_viewport.html
    With the BKG_ViewportLayer command you can change the 'VP visibility' of a single layer in a selection of viewports or in all viewports.
  • Mr Gebbinck, I have used a number of your programs over the years. Thank you for your useful tools.

However, I am not clear how your BKG_ViewportLayer command is different from the built-in vplayer command for my purposes.  Don't both have the ability to freeze or thaw layers in all viewports at once?

-Joe
  • Joe, I didn't know about that very nice option inside the VPLAYER command. You are right that BKG_ViewportLayer offers almost the same functionality. Although BKG_ViewportLayer can still come in handy if you want to filter viewports using their scale.

Using VPLAYER this works:
    [code]: vplayer
     List/Freeze/Thaw/Reset/New frozen layers/Default visibility settings : n
    New frozen layer name(s): NewLayer
     List/Freeze/Thaw/Reset/New frozen layers/Default visibility settings : f
    Select the layer(s) to freeze: NewLayer
    All/Select/<Current>: a
     List/Freeze/Thaw/Reset/New frozen layers/Default visibility settings :
    : [/code]

This discussion has been closed.