BricsCAD v14 linux amd64 could not start (crash right after new file dialog)

Here is what I get when I try the last beta download (ubuntu 64bits) :

[code]
fdy@voltalis-fdy:~$ optirun bricscadv14
The program 'bricscad' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 30469 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
[/code]

My laptop comes with 32G of RAM, so I assume the problem is not here …

I can not find any --debug/verbose switch to give more information for debug. …

Any lead or workaround ?

Comments

• same on V14 final just released?

have you tried running it in gdb ?
  • Hello Florian,

Nvidia latest drivers for Linux (319) should work out of the box with BricsCAD (without using Bumblebee). I have tried this on Ubuntu 13.04 (x86) and hardware acceleration was working. Please file  a support request about your problem with specific platform description and we may help you closer.

P.S.: There might still be a reason why bumblebee would be meaningful. From what I know Nvidia 319 drivers do not set the Intel card off so both are essentially draining battery power (I may have to reconfirm this though). We don't know to what extent that would be a problem for most users.

Best regards,
    Alexandru Branescu.
  • Florian has already entered a support request.  It will be further investigated, but mind that the used distribution is not officially supported by us, and neither is hardware acceleration with RedSDK on dual graphics officially supported.

The issue does still happen in V14.1.17. It also happens when Florian does not use optirun.
    It could still be a setup issue though. 

Alex, I was just about to inform you.

Mind that V14.1.17 is the first release, not a "final" release.
    We keep publishing versions with fixes throughout the year.
  • >mind that the used distribution is not officially supported by us

Oops, correction, I had not noticed this forumpost mentions "ubuntu 64bits".
    The Support request mentions debian 64bit, hence my remark.
  •  Yeah I filed a request, and will offer my help to track this down (and get this corrected).

Honestly, I am quite used to developing OpenGL applications, and so, for this matter if I can be of some help, just tell me (running debug symbol enabled stuff etc…). Heck, I can even help you correct this if I get my hands on some relevant part of code (I am ready to go with an NDA if you mean it … but I can understand why you would prefer to keep that inside). I can even setup some time for you to directly access my machine on remote if you need it (that part needs to be done on the support request, but still manageable).

As for bumblebee not switching off the Intel card, actually, it is the other way around, optirun starts a second Xorg display and temporary load the nvidia module at that time. The integrated GPU is the Intel one (which is the one never being disabled), and the discreet GPU is the NVIDIA one. So that bug does not really work that way (On my setup, I do know that the nvidia board is not up while I don't use it, and I tried other openGL application, eg. VariCAD to make sure this setup was supposed to be working).

BTW FYI last version of the nivida driver is which is the version I used to test it (Actually, I tested quite a few older versions as well).

Well, heck you do have a potential customer (and actual beta tester), that is willing to help here, even better, for free and fast :) so just grab the offered hand and use it all you need :)
This discussion has been closed.