License Question.

I have just completed building a new computer, I'm trying to move v14 over to the new machine.  I have already removed v14 from the old machine (I saw no option to "deactivate").  How to I go about doing this?

Comments

• Thanks Robert.  I did not see this option before (I wish I had).  I appear to be screwed, as I mentioned I already removed the program from my old machine.  I did try re-installing since it is supposed to locked to that machine.  Now I get a message that it is locked to another machine (that would be my laptop at home)  and it would not install.
  •  I'm sure you're fine John; just file a support request and they should release the license from the old machine manually.
  • I would throw myself on the mercy of Bricsys support. They may (?) be able to help.
  • Yes,  I think you're right.  But it does get me thinking, what about drive or motherboard failures?  I'm not sure I like this new system.
  • 1 month after I purchased V14, I had a hard disk failure with my computer.  I had difficulty reactivating Briscad so I submitted a support request.  They did re-set my license key, so I was able to re-activate.  Unfortunately for me, the replacement drive (a brand new SSD) failed 30 days after I installed it.  When your computer won't even boot, you obviously cannot de-activate a license.   I was able to re-activate, but now the 2 activations  (you are allowed to install it on 2 computers provide there is not concurrent use.)  were used up, so when I tried to install it on the replacement desktop system, I once again had to ask for the license to be re-set.  Once again, they re-set the license so I could install the program on the desktop system.  Briscad's support during these issues has been excellent.  Also keep in mind that you can run it in trial mode for 30 days while you are waiting. (It took a month to get the warranty replacement drive.)

That being said,  I have never been a fan of any copy protection scheme dating back to the floppy bad sector scheme used by Lotus 123. I have plenty of stories about software that I could not get to work after minor changes.  (How about running checkdsk on a hard drive, and finding out that a program will never work again.)  I have requested a less aggressive form of copy protection be used in Bricscad.  My attitude is that if Windows does not need to be reactivated, then Briscad should not either.  The status of that request is "fix scheduled", so hopefully a copy protection scheme that allows you to change hard drives and restore from an image backup like I had to do twice in a 30 day period will not necessitate a support request for license activation.

•  I would not use a ssd for install of Bricscad or any application that is ment to last several years.
    SSD's  ar great to improve boot time and if the ssd crashes , then no data is lost related to programs cause they are still on harddisk.

The downside of a SSD is: the drive will re-arange data to avoid wearing  and that works fine as long as the drive has enough free space.
    If space is too limited on the sdd , then that's a known cause for fast problems.

There are still drives with firmware problems.
    In that case, it's better to check for firmware updates before classifying the drive as dead.

In case you have lost Bricscad licence due to new computer, faulty drive ,  etc...always contact Bricsys support.

• Hi,

We don't have the intention to become the company that will 'screw' their paying customers. But we do need a protection against piracy. We are aware of the disturbing consequences of locking a license to hardware. We are working on an extension of our website to provide you with an overview of activations of your license, and the ability to remove an activation without our intervention. This will be available soon.

kind regards
    Pieter Clarysse
  • Pieter

I do think your current system is a bit flawed, excuse the harsh words.

I tried to activate V14 on one of my machines without success. If I have a look in my "Licenses and support contracts" I can see that my version was activated on the same machine twice. The "disksn" is the same for both activation but the host id is different.

The machine I want to use the license on has also got the same "disksn" but cannot activate due to 2 activation's on the same machine.

Isn't there a check in your system that compares the disksn and intelligent enough to know that if the disksn is the same, the hdd is the same, thus the same machine.

The bricscad license also fails after a major windows update e.i. windows 8 to 8.1 update. If the system can compare hardware, in your case the disk serial number, an automatically correct this you will have a lot of happy customers.

My dilemma now is that I cannot work due to this activation flaw.

Have logged a support request, awaiting a answer.

Regards
    Wolter Bijker 

• Hi Wolter,

This is a flaw indeed. I have been discussing it with Reprise for quite some time. Now they have released a new version with new API, especially for us, to enable us to detect these cases and solve them without bothering our users with it. So I hope to apply their new release, and get this fixed for V15.

Meanwhile thanks for your patience. An answer to your support request is underway.

Pieter
  •  Pieter

This is not just good news this is great news!

In the meanwhile i'm still stuck with a V14 that doesn't want to activate. I'm sure there is more people with the same problem. I do not want to revoke access as I can only do this once.

If in my case I revoke access and activate again with failure (it failed twice this morning, e.i. two activation logged but still not working and disksn is the same) , I cannot use the license again and would be forced to buy a new license, surely this is not Bricsys intention to do this.

Can this not be fixed in a minor update of V14?

I have received a reply from the support team that suggest that i revoke access, as stated before i'm scared of doing this as I only get one chance.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
    Wolter Bijker

• About harddisks: use enterprise harddidks and not the commercial ones ment for desktop users.

But even commercial ones do not get faulty after a month.
    First try the standard tools, checkdisk c: /r    , sfc/scannow  , and don't forget, a faulty driver can cause many problems.
    And : always backup the system.

•  Pieter

I stumbled upon a weird error in this regard.

I lost my windows partition an started a clean install, I do have extra seats in my license so activating another one is not a problem.

All my hardware stayed exactly the same including drives.

My Disk ID for my activation a month ago an yesterday differs, every second character is swapped around.

disksn=50 02 6B 72 41 0E DB 85;Wolter
    disksn=05 20 B6 27 14 E0 BD 58;Wolter

Statistical chance of having to drives with serial number like this is impossible.

Think its worth mentioning to Reprice

Regards
    Wolter Bijker

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!