3D objects disintegrate

Since I haven't gotten an answer yet from the support request I submitted, I thought I'd check the forum on this issue.  Maybe someone here has an answer for me.

I created a faiirly complex 3D model (a chassis) using V13.2.10.    At one time, I could grab it at any corner, and move anywhere in model space, without it separating or falling apart.    I opened the drawing with V14.2.06 to make 2D views, using the new tools in V14.   But I decided I much prefer the QuickDraw tool in V13, and didn't make any changes, except to save to an Autocad 2010 compatible DWG. 

So I re-opened the drawing under V13.   I decided to reposition one of the "retention tabs" before making my 2D views.   I intended to sllice it off the chassis, move it where I wanted, and then use UNION to join the two pieces.    After I sliced off the tab, I grabbed it by the corner, and moved it.   It left "litter".   They look like surfaces that have become detached from the tab.   I thought I could use the UNION tool to group the surfaces and pieces, but the tool doesn't work.   I don't know how this tab got "shredded", as I didn't slice it anywhere near the loose pieces.   I'd like to know how to restore the tab to a solid object.    I suppose I could re-create it from scratch, but it wasn't easy to create in the first place.

I have attached the sliced off retention tab.  If you grab a corner and try to move it, you will see all the separate pieces that "shredded off".    Is there any way to restore this 3D object to wholeness?

Comments

• I first thought you might have accidentally exploded the solid, but this would not explain why the flat surfaces are joined into one region, so I guess you found a bad bug indeed.
    I think Bricsys' support will be very interested, provided the error is reproducible.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you:
    Since BricsCAD currently does not support any surface modeling, you cannot recreate solid geometry once it has been reduced to regions and surfaces.
    I opened the file in Rhino, but the surfaces (the fillets) were not read in, so no way either. Maybe current AutoCAD versions may handle this, I don't know.
    Did you try to export the part as a step file with the communicator? If the surfaces get exported (I can't check, since the communicator seems to be not functional on linux) there will probably be ways to convert the geometry into a solid again.
  • The support group was interested, and they said they would look into it.  I tried Communicator but I thought it had problems, so I haven't purchased it.  The trial has expired. 

• The support group was interested, and they said they would look into it.  I tried Communicator but I thought it had problems, so I haven't purchased it.  The trial has expired. 

Why make these kind of post here ?

Just email the Bricsys Team and ask for some additional time on your trial period.

• @ Bruce
    Why should a customer who already decided not to by a certain product beg for an extended trial?
    If step export could offer a solution was completely unclear anyway...
  • We have subscription to Automesher, a BricsCAD add-on, which we bought to generate IGES and STEP files, but which we have had poor results with.   I opened the drawing, selected all the parts and exported them, first as an STEP file, and then as an IGES file.  When I re-imported these files using Automesher, the bulk of the model was missing.  Only the small pieces that broke away could be found.

Not sure this proves much, because we haven't had good luck with Automesher on undamaged 3D models.  
This discussion has been closed.