Upgrade - Win 8 or stick with Win 7 Pro

My PC is okay, just needs a reformat as its been a while so considering installing an SSD.
I run Win 7 Pro 32 but would go 64 bit when reinstall.
Use 2 screens - 27" & 24".
But at current prices I maybe better off just ditching my PC and getting a new one.

That begs question - Win 7 Pro or Win 8?
I'm running Bricscad 14.

Comments would be appreciated please.

Comments

• Ah! I did search but obviously missed it. An older similar question - my apologies.
    This is the link for any other curious viewers  Recommended computer specs for Bricscad 13
    That's a year old and we are now 14 so maybe an upgrade on past comments still applicable?
  • I've been using Windows 8 for a few months with no issues. I'm sure there are many pros and cons to using either operating system, but if I had it to do over I would stay with Win Pro 7. The only reason has to do with a software compatibility issue related to Autodesk's free program called Inventor Fusion. It provided the ability to convert several 3D formats to to .dwg (again for free). It did the conversions to .dwg with higher fidelity than BricsCAD Communicator (for $610 US), but is not compatible with Win 8. So my advice would be to check the compatibility of programs that are important to you before making the jump. Don't trust the Microsoft compatibility website for this information because it says Inventor Fusion is compatible with Win 8. Do a Google search on your specific software. Good luck.
  • We continue to use Windows 7 Pro here and plan to purchase it on machines until the Oct deadline.  The MS attempt to shove a phone/tablet oriented interface onto desktop PCs was a very bad choice (I now recommend Macs to friends who don't use CAD).
  • Thanks for comments
    I think I'll stick with 7 Pro for now as I am now not convinced some of my applications will be Win 8 friendly.
    regards
  • I've been told that Windows 7 will be available on "Business PCs" for much longer than October. MicroSoft set the October deadline for consumer PCs.
This discussion has been closed.