Text style applied to layer - Defaults

is there way so that text styles are set by the Layer properties
I have dwgs where different layers contain entities with unique text, colour and linetype.

I would like to be able to setup the dwg template such that any text copied or drawn in that layer is automatically assigned my unique text style for that layer.

Maybe it's there already.

help much appreciated thanks

Comments

•  I don't think there is a way to do what you are seeking with existing functionality.  But, that is what the macros and programming languages are for.

If you are not into programming, you might be able to create a simple macro or script that isolates the current layer, selects all text, and applies a text style stated in the macro.   It might follow the following steps;

1) Turn off all but the current layer.
    2) Select Everything, filtering for text only.
    3) Change the properties of all the text objects to the style the script says.

But, the part I am not familiar with is filtering.  I don't know if that can be done with a script.  But, even if you can't, it is not difficult to just manually go through the operation.

1) Change to the layer
    2) Turn all layers but that one (or just isolate that layer)
    3) Start the filter feature on the properties to select only text. 
    4) Select Mtext (or text) Click the button to automatically add the objects to the selection set.
    5) Edit the properties you want to change, such as the style.

Note that Mtext and Text are different types of objects., so you will have to do the above twice, if you have both Mtext and Text.

-Joe
  • Thanks Joe
    That last explanation is the way I do it and being a bit tedious I thought how good if we could set up Layers to have certain properties or rules that ALL entities obeyed, text styles etc being one.
    I realise that would/ could get a bit complex when all text attributes are considered.

I often use my Cad more like my graphics packages that offer greater versatility in many areas, but just don't work quite like Cad. Well Canvas goes very close.

Not sure how other users would value such an addition to the Layers attributes, but guess if there was a real need people would be screaming for it.
  • The 5-step procedure described by Joe can be sped up:
    Omit step 1 and 2.
    3) press the Quick Select button on the Properties Bar and select to see e.g. all Mtexts.
        Now, instead of using the default wild card "*" filter for Layers, specify the desired layer name,
        by picking it from the list that appears when you click in the field that shows the "*" layer filter.
    steps 4 and 5 remain unchanged.

This discussion has been closed.