Replacement MText Editdor

Hello:

I am looking for a replacement MText editor as the built in version is lacking features that I require on a daily basis.  One of the features that I require is the ability to create nicely formatted numbered lists and tab stops. I am wondering if anybody has a suggestion for an editor that I could use until these features are added?

Comments

• For lengthy text,  I’ve always preferred to use a word processor & paste into MTEXT.
    For tables / spreadsheets, I rely on Roy Klein Gebbinck’s excellent BKG_TABLEDATA add-on.
    Copy / Paste from any spreadsheet program.
  • I made a lisp file that toggles between the built in Mtext editor and Wordpad,  which I prefer.  Your program of choice should be able to be substituted.

(defun c:MTE( / )
    (if (= "internal" (getvar "mtexted")) (setvar "mtexted" "c:\\program files\\windows NT\\accessories\\wordpad.exe") (setvar "mtexted" "internal")  )) 

JP

• Have you tried SETTINGS / MULILINE TEXT EDITOR, and change it to point to your word processor of choice?
  • PS: An alternative is to enter word processor path at command line MTEXTED prompt.
  • Thank you for the lisp routine tip to switch the mtext editor.  I tried to create my number list of text in wordpad, clicked close and then I was prompted that I am saving in a text only format and all my formatting will be lost.  Sure enough my numbered list was removed, I tried again but saved as a rich text format and nothing was transferred over to the drawing.  Am I missing a step that will allow me to save the formatting?  This lacking function in the mtext editor is making this very frustrating...
  • I've gotten completely fed up with MText in AutoCAD and BricsCAD. I compose the text in Word and print the document to PDF. Then I use PDF Overlay for the text. It's not as bad as it sounds once you get used to it. It produces great results and let's me include so much more than MText ever did.
  • I agree!  One can use Word, LibreOffice or any other favourite word processor/publishing software.  If the text needs to change, make an edit and print to PDF.  The drawing will update because the PDF Attach is an external reference.  This works fine.  Autodesk tried to make MTEXT into Word and TABLE into Excel, and they can never get there.
  • I found a round about way of keeping my note numbers in one column and the text in another by using a two column table. Editing isn't all that bad and most of all, I don't lose my formatting. It also allows you to arrange the rows in assending or descending order with the push of a button. I've also discovered a very useful Table creation utility by Roy Klein Gebbinch (thanks Roy) and it's free: http://b-k-g.nl/freeware.html

It allows me to use a spreadsheet to create my notes initially and then, using the utility, to paste it into BricsCAD as a table. I can then edit as needed. For my simple needs this has been a good work around. I've attached a simple example, where I started with the spreadsheet and then pasted into my drawing.
    imageTable Notes.jpg
  •  Dennis, thank you for the tip, that will make notes a lot easier, once you have a note table style setup with appropriate padding and borders it should look almost exactly like a nicely formatted mtext object.  The PDF option looks like a good choice for those longer note items, I will have to play around with this as well.  The only trouble is this still leaves the issue of editing an mtext entity with 'fancy' formatting that was created in an AutoCAD drawing, but I guess one could always copy out the text and past it into a Word document, PDF and then attach to your dwg...
This discussion has been closed.