Two newbie questions

Hi,
I have two things I am currently not able to do, which I was able in AutoCAD or Draftsight. Maybe some seasoned Bricscad users cold help:

A) closing current file with keyboard shortcut. I ctrl+F4 doesn't work, neither does ctrl+W. I didn't find any shortcut in Bricscad's shortcut list for this. Is there a keyboard shortcut for closing current file?

B) in AutoCAD and Draftsight, there's option to copy objcets by:
1] selecting them
2] clicking on one of the vertecies
3] hitting enter to change from STRECH mode to MOVE mode
4] ctrl+click to a posisiton, where a copy of the selected objects should be
In Bricscad, the ctrl+click part doesn't work. Is there some other shortcut, or the only option is to choose Copy from the command prompt before step 4? I use this functionality extensively in Draftsight and I am missing in in Bricscad.

Tom

Comments

• Re: Close

command bar:  close  (or CLO Enter)

shortcut:  Ctrl+F4

• Re: Close

command bar:  close  (or CLO Enter)

shortcut:  Ctrl+F4

Hi Robt. Ctrl+F4 works for you? It doesn't work on my two systems (one with GNOME and th other with MATE deskktop). Ctrl+F4 does nothing for me.
  • Win 7 here.
  • You can create your shortcut in the customize dialog box.

For example, in my system (openSUSE 12.3 / KDE4.11 / BricsCAD 14.2.08 (x64) Platinum beta)

Right-click the menu bar > Customize... > Keyboard tab > right-click empty space on left panel > Insert Shortcut > choose "File -> Close" in the bottom panel and click OK.

Back in the Keyboard tab the shortcut will appear with an empty name. Click it and insert the shortcut in the KEY field of the bottom panel.

I tested with CTRL+W and it works nicely..
  • Hi Bruno,
    thanks for the tip. So I guess, there's no default shortcut for closing file in linux version.

On related note:
    When I added the shortcut, all of my toolbars changed to their dafault positions and states (on or off). Everytime I change smoething in the .cui file, toolbars switch to their default state. I even tried creating my own .cui file, but the toolbar positions and states are not preserved when something si changed. Am I doing something wrong or is this Bricscad's problem under linux?

• When I added the shortcut, all of my toolbars changed to their dafault positions and states (on or off). Everytime I change smoething in the .cui file, toolbars switch to their default state. I even tried creating my own .cui file, but the toolbar positions and states are not preserved when something si changed. Am I doing something wrong or is this Bricscad's problem under linux?

Yeah, I see the same behavior, since V11 if I'm not mistaken.
    Sometime in these years it improved a bit, as it used to rearrange itself at every start. Now it's only when changing the toolbar arrangement.
    I just live with it...
  • <

div>

<

blockquote class="Quote UserQuote">

. . .Everytime I change smoething in the .cui file, toolbars switch to their default state.. . .

This can be changed while in the customize menu.
    With the toolbars tab selected, there are properties for the selected toolbar listed at the bottom of the screen: Title, Alias, Position, Visible, Rows, Xval, Yval.
    These exist for each toolbar on the list. They reflect the default state of the toolbar as it will appear after making your .cui changes.
    If you go through these to set up your toolbars, the changes will stay - until your next program upgrade.
    I'm not sure which support file records the toolbar adjustments, but if you can identify it, save it separately and restore it after program upgrade, You can probably even save repeating the customization process.
    It would be nice if these values would automatically update based on drag and drop setup.  But in the versions to date they are not.
    Another handy piece of info I haven't found (yet) would be a list of the default support files and what they contain. It probably exists somewhere, but I've not found it. I'm a one person branch office, so I am my own CAD manager, draftsman, design engineer, and bookkeeper - CAD support time is limited.

I hope that helps.
  • Hi Bradley,

thanks for you suggestion. It works :). It's quite tedious to position all toolbars, but at least they seem to stay in their selected positions after any changes to CUI file.

Tom
  • ..hmm, so editing Xval and Yval positions of toolbars doesn't work anymore after upgrade to V14.2.14. X value seems to work, bur Y value is reset even after closing and opening BricsCAD again. One has to open and close the customize menu to move toolbars set in the customized menu.
This discussion has been closed.