Scaling problem on dimensions placed on generated views

I'm having problems getting correct dimensions on generated (2D views).  If I start a drawing with the wizard, create a 3D model and place generated views on one of the layout tabs, subsequent dimensions are correct.   However, I don't usually start my drawings with the wizard.   I start with an existing, read only drawing that has an A, B, C, or D sized  template on one of the layout views, as well as the dimension styles  and layers I normally need.   These read only drawings were created with Autocad LT 2006 several years ago.

I find that when I place dimensions on the layout views, they are scaled by a factor of two or four.  I asked the support group about this, but I wasn't thrilled with their answer.  Basically, they told me I shouldn't start with one of my old drawings.

There must be a variable that controls how dimensions are scaled on the generated views.   

Anyone else here figure this out?

Jim C.

Comments

•  My apologies to everyone for the triplicate post.  I tried to post the topic, and kept getting an error message.  
  • I start with an existing, read only drawing that has an A, B, C, or D sized  template on one of the layout views, as well as the dimension styles  and layers I normally need.   These read only drawings were created with Autocad LT 2006 several years ago.

Why read-only? Sounds like you want to use these drawings as templates. To do this use _SAVEAS and select Drawing Template .DWT from the file type pull down. You can also simply rename the file extension from .DWG -> . DWT. Drawing templates make it easy to start a new drawing based on a copy of the existing.

I would suspect your issue may be related to the existing layout. To test I would try creating a new layout in the same drawing, send your generated views to this layout, then try dimensioning again. I would also consider raising a support request.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts
  • Jim, it is unclear what you mean by dimension scale. Do you mean that the dimension values are scaled. Or that the visual appearance of the dimensions is scaled.
    If the last applies: do you use annotative dimension styles in your 'default' drawing and does the problem also occur if you switch to a non-annotative style?

• Alright, here is what I am talking about...  

I opened one of my Read Only "templates", created 2 cubes in model space (2x2x2, and 1x1x1), and then used "Generate Drawing Views" to make third angle, orthogonal projections of BOTH objects, first on Layout1 (which contains our company border and title block), then on Layout2 (a new layout I generated).

I then dimensioned the orthogonal projections in Layout1 and Layout2.   The dimensions on Layout 2 are correct.    If you look at Layout1,  you get the false impression that both cubes are the same size.  In fact, sometimes when I dimension views, they indicate that an object is as much as 4 times its real size.  I want to fix this.  

I don't know what is wrong with using a Read Only  file as a template.  I've been doing this for at least 8 years.  The only time I started to  have problems is when Bricsys dropped QuickDraw (which placed drawing views in model space), in favor of "Generate Drawing Views", (which puts them in paper space).   Why don't I use a DWT?   My Read Only files contain not only the borders and title block, but also dimension styles and other settings.    I save them as Read Only DWG's to differentiate them from the templates BricsCAD provides, which only have generic borders and title blocks.  

Two Cubes.dwg

• Jim,

Your issue relates to DIMASSOC. to dimension correctly in Paper space you would set  = 2. This associates (links) the dimension to the object being dimensioned. see your updated drawing attached as an example. When set to 2, DIMASSOC essentially overrides the DIMLFAC of the current Dimension style. This is similar to using an annotative dimension style if dimension in model space. In this case DIMSCALE of the current style is overridden.

What this means is that you no longer need to maintain multiple dimension styles to cover different scales. What hasn't changed is the number of variables related to dimensioning! Attach a couple of scripts for setting dimension styles. One metric, one imperial. These are intended for dimensioning in paperspace, or inside a paperspace viewport in model space. You would change them to Annotative if you wanted to dimension in model space.

Templates can hold title blocks, dimension styles and other settings. They are just drawings with a different file extension. To use you would create a folder somewhere on your PC e.g. "C:\MyCADLibrary\Templates" and place all the templates you want to use there. Then configure BricsCAD to use by _SETTING your TemplatePath, and BASEFILE.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts

Two Cubes-CCL.dwgCCL-Dimvar-M.scrCCL-Dimvar-I.scr

• Forgot to add that you can export your generated views to model space using _VIEWEXPORT . Admittedly more steps than with the old QUICKDRAW.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts
  • Thank you Jason. 

I'm not sure if DIMASSOC is a general user variable, or is associated with each drawing file.  But apparently my old Autocad "templates" (*.dwg), are forcing the DIMASSOC variable to "1".    I don't know why, because it was nothing I ever set.    Anyway, with DIMASSOC set to "1", SOME objects are dimensioned correctly, and some NOT.  Very strange.   

I will open all my old Autocad "templates", change DIMASSOC to "2" and resave.  

Thank you for the scripts.

• With DIMASSOC set to 1 only entities in viewports with a 1:1 scale will be dimensioned correctly. There is nothing strange about this behavior. If DIMASSOC is 1 you are dimensioning points in paperspace instead of linking the dimension to the entity.
  • With DIMASSOC set to 1 only entities in viewports with a 1:1 scale will be dimensioned correctly. There is nothing strange about this behavior. If DIMASSOC is 1 you are dimensioning points in paperspace instead of linking the dimension to the entity.

How do you set the scale of a viewport?   Is that something I missed in Autocad 101?
  • I'm not sure if DIMASSOC is a general user variable, or is associated with each drawing file.

DIMASSOC is saved with the drawing file, it isn't saved with dimension style.

@Jim Canale:
    How do you set the scale of a viewport?

Select the paper space viewport, then from the Property Bar (Ctrl + 1) you will find options to change the scale. In some cases you will need to first unlock the viewport, which can also be done from the Property Bar.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts
  •  Thank you Jason!
This discussion has been closed.