Contents of Quad Menu changing.

Yesterday I noticed the contents of my Quad menu changed.  Normally, the menu contains a tool for aligning the X and Y axes to a face of a 3D object.  Also tools for putting radii and chamfers on blocks, extruding.   Today I only find the union and subtract tools.   I haven't done any customizations lately.   Why did this change, and how do I get the tools I need back in the Quad?

Comments

• Quad group visibility is stored in a 'Workspace'. If you have switched workspaces then switching back to your usual workspace should fix the problem. If you have inadvertently 'X'-ed a Quad group in a workspace you can correct it on the Workspace tab of the _CUSTOMIZE dialog.
  • ... And of course the content of the Quad also depends on the entity under the cursor. So, for example, for a face other tools will displayed than for a solid.
  • ... And a variable that influences the selection preview and thereby the content of the Quad is PREVIEWTOPDOWN.
  • Quad group visibility is stored in a 'Workspace'. If you have switched workspaces then switching back to your usual workspace should fix the problem. If you have inadvertently 'X'-ed a Quad group in a workspace you can correct it on the Workspace tab of the _CUSTOMIZE dialog.

Roy,

Thanks for responding.  I switch from 2D to 3D workspace from time to time.   Switching back to 3D workspace did not correct the contents of the Quad.  

I looked at the Workspace tab of the _CUSTOMIZE dialog, and can see nothing there that affects the contents (tool offering) on the Quad.   I can go to the Quad tab and add the tools I want, but they appear on the second row of the Quad, rather than the first row. 
  • There is nothing unusual about the 3D objects I'm editing.  I can make a basic cube with the extrude command, and the Quad no longer shows options for  chamfering or radiusing the edges.  It also no longer allows me to align the x and y axes with a face.   If I draw a circle on the top of the block, I should see the push/pull command on the first line of the Quad  when I get the mouse cursor near the circle.

The PREVIEWTOPDOWN variable is set to "on".  What should it be set to, and what does it do?

• Dear Jim
    The UCS aligns to the face under the cursor only if the Dynamic UCS variable is ON, which is indicated in the DUCS field in the status bar. Click the DUCS field to toggle this setting. 
  • About PREVIEWTOPDOWN:

PREVIEWTOPDOWN=ON
    1. Hover over an edge of a 3D solid: the whole solid is highlighted.
    2. Hit Tab: the edge is highlighted.
    3. Again hit Tab: one of the connected faces is highlighted.
    4. Again hit Tab: the other connected face is highlighted.

PREVIEWTOPDOWN=OFF
    1. Hover over an edge of a 3D solid: the edge is highlighted.
    2. Hit Tab: one of the connected faces is highlighted.
    3. Again hit Tab: the other connected face is highlighted.
    4. Again hit Tab: the whole solid is highlighted.

Depending on what is highlighted the tools in the Quad change. For example the Chamfer tool is only displayed if an edge is highlighted.

Note:The first row of the Quad is filled with the tools that where last used for the highlighted element.

• Thanks Louis. 

I had DUCS turned on.    I hovered over edges expecting to see chamfer and radius tools, but they never appeared.  I hovered over faces, and expected to see the extrude command appear, as well as the UCS alignment tool.  But they never appeared.  The only way I was able to get the tools back into the quad menu was to add them to the "custom line".

I will play around with the PREVIEWTOPDOWN variable.

This discussion has been closed.