how to get rid of iso projection in model space and see simple top view

I want to draft a flat sheet metal part.  I don't need an iso view(?) in model space.  I just want to look down onto x and y axes.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• _PLAN command ?
  • Torsten,

Yes!  Thank you, that worked.  I would not have guessed the command name "PLAN".  I should have found it under the View Rotation chapter in the user manual.

: PLAN
    Plan view of:  UCS/World/:
  •  The plan command can be very handy, I have written a small script (below) that will reset the plan view to be parallel to the current XY plane, I find this handy if I need to build a feature on a face of a 3D solid that is not parallel to the current plan.  Using a second script, also below, that allows me to set the UCS to a current face, and then running my second command aligns the x and y axis according to the selected face and then rotates the view to match so that I don't have to draw at a weird 3D angle.  The second UCS command below has since been replaced by the dynamic ucs, so, it may be obsolete in some cases, personally, I don't use the dynamic UCS.

[code](defun c:uf () ;Align the ucs to a selected face
      (princ "\n")
      (princ "SELECT AN FACE TO ALIGN UCS:")
      (princ "\n")
      (command ".ucs" "f" pause "")
      (princ)
    )

(defun c:pc ()  ;Align the plan view to the XY plane of the current UCS - also works when the UCS is set to the World coord. system.
      (command ".plan" "c")
      (princ)
    )
    [/code]
  • Thanks for your comment Scott.  It did get me thinking about UCS more.  Here I tried (manually) putting the UCS on a face.

Not sure how to make a picture inline in the post (it asks for a URL, but it is on my computer), so I am attaching it.
    imageucs f to move ucs to face.png
This discussion has been closed.