Quicky question.... What causes the object to be hidden while it is being moved.

I don't know what happened to the drawing I was creating. Suddenly, the move command changed.  When I move objects, the object is hidden till I place it.  I see a line from the point of origin to the mouse cursor.  I prefer to see the object move.

Comments

• Probably the DRAGMODE setting is set as 0 (maybe by an application ?);
    set as AUTO or ON should help :-)
    Many greetings !
  • Thanks, but no, it's not "dragmode".   And I don't use any LSP or other applications with the program.  That is what is so frustrating for me.  Not a week goes by that some obscure variable decides to up and change value on me.    Currently besides the drag problem I am also having a problem with dimensions not showing up on my printouts or Adobe pdf exports.    Do you have any idea about what could cause that?
  • Dear Jim.

I would try this :
    start BricsCAD with a new (dummy) profile - copy your desktop icon and change the commandline liek this
    "...\bricscad.exe /p Dummy

That will create a new profile from scratch, with default settings, so good chances that dragging + plotting might work again.

Then, after closing, you can export your normal profile, and the "Dummy" profile from Registry, either using ProfileManager,
    or manually by RegEdit.exe (it is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Bricsys/BricsCAD/V14/Profiles/

Then you might compare the profiles (which are text files *.reg) using WinMerge or similar ... that will likely show differences.

Many greetings !
  • @ Jim:
    If dimensions are visible on screen but don't print the problem may be that they are on a layer that is set to not-plot. Perhaps you are using the Defpoints layer by accident?
  • Torsten,

Thank you for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I have been restricted by our IT department to a standard user account, and I can't make any of the changes you suggest.  It takes a while before I can get IT to act on this stuff.

Roy,

The Defpoints layer was the only layer set to "no-plot".  I changed that, but it did not make any difference.  My dimensions layer is still very faint on PDF exports and hardcopy printouts.    I've neverunderstood the use of Defpoints or your second statement.  All I know is the drawing wizard includes the layer whenever I start a new drawing.

• I get that with a handful of blocks I regularly use.

They are inserted on layer 0 and contain objects which show or hide depending which group of layers is frozen/thawed - the blocks look different displayed one way to the other because some parts are hidden either way.

With one group frozen, the blocks hide when moving. With the alternate group frozen (or all thawed), they behave normally.

I can never remember which way the layer settings are when it occurs, and I think it is not consistent. That is, it doesn't always happen.

• Dear Jim,
    you don't need an extra user account at all :-)
    By commandline, BricsCAD can use (and if necessary, create) a dedicated "BricsCAD Profile" ...
    this is fully under your actual user account, also no risk to damage somthing at all :-)
    Many greetings !
  • @ Jim:
    There is a big difference between 'not showing up' and 'very faint' when it comes to printing.
    Check your plot table (.ctb) against the colors used by the dimensions and dimension style.
  • I get that with a handful of blocks I regularly use.  They are inserted on layer 0 and contain objects which show or hide depending which group of layers is frozen/thawed - the blocks look different displayed one way to the other because some parts are hidden either way.  With one group frozen, the blocks hide when moving. With the alternate group frozen (or all thawed), they behave normally....

John,

Thanks for your insight.  However that is not what was happening to me.  In all the years I have used Autocad, Intellicad, and BricscCAD, I have never frozen a layer.  I turn a layer completely off if I don't want to view it.  I really don't understand what the Freeze capability is for.

• @ Jim:
    There is a big difference between 'not showing up' and 'very faint' when it comes to printing.
    Check your plot table (.ctb) against the colors used by the dimensions and dimension style.

Roy,

I'll remember to check that... Right now I am embarrassed to admit I have lost the drawings that exhibited the printing problem.  As for the other issue (objects disappearing when dragged), that problem has disappeared!  

Sorry if it seem like I was wasting everyone's time.  The problems were very real and frustrating.  Unfortunately, I often don't have the luxury here at work to stay on a problem for any length of time. 
  • Not wasting time Jim, I often learn something from some of the issues you raise.

Freeze is the deeper way of hiding a Layer, when they are Off they are still not immune from many operations.

Freezing reduces the overhead of the things on those layers, if that's ever critical.

• In addition to John's comment:
    Layers that are off will still be regenerated. So for big drawings freezing layers you are not using will speed things up.
    Another, related, issue: A block inserted on layer "A" containing elements on layer "B" will still display if layer "A" is switched off, but not if layer "A" is frozen.

• Dear Jim,
    you don't need an extra user account at all :-)
    By commandline, BricsCAD can use (and if necessary, create) a dedicated "BricsCAD Profile" ...
    this is fully under your actual user account, also no risk to damage somthing at all :-)
    Many greetings !

They've got me so locked down, I can't even delete icons on my desktop, let alone add parameters to the executable.    I setup and maintained my employer's  entire network a couple years after the business opened.  Then they hired someone else to manage it so I could be free to do CAD design and machining.  The new IT administrator promptly disabled the administrator passwords I had for the servers clients, and my desktop.   That is incredibly frustrating for me.  I have to get permission to do every update.    
This discussion has been closed.