Creating custom linetypes

Hi I'm a uni student and I have the academic licence version of Bricscad. I'm playing around with the line types, and I wanted to know if it is possible to create a custom line. What I want to create is a line for services/utilities. I would like to create a line type which has the letter "H' in between line segments to denote the service type.

------ H ------- H --------- H ------
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out with this problem.

Comments

• Hi Navneet,

Perhaps take a look at this post
    http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/19963

and here
    About linetypes and definitions

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

• Also if you want an automated approach you can try this lisp found at the swamp http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=47058.0. You may need to create a free login though as it is in the members area.
  • Here's one using text Style STANDARD to create the H:
    [code]*HLINE,HLine ---- H ---- H ---- H ----
    A,12.7,-0.94,["H",STANDARD,S=2.54,R=0.0,X=0,Y=-1.27],-2.54
    [/code]
    You can adjust it to fit your purpose.
    If I remember correctly:
    12.7 specifies a length of solid line.
    -0.94 specifies a length of space.
    Everything inside the brackets specifies a text to be inserted at the end of the 0.94 space.
    S specifies the height of the text, and R specifies its rotation.
    X and Y specify an offset from the insertion point to the lower left corner of the text.
    -2.54 specifies a length of space after the insertion point of the text and before repeating the pattern.
  •  Thanks, I really appreciate the help given.

-Cheers
  • Creating linetypes with text is quite easy, creating complex linetypes requiring shapes isn't. You also need to make sure that you send the .shx file with the drawing, otherwise it won't display correctly.

Something that only occurred to me recently (I'm a slow thinker) is to make use of symbols based truetype fonts, such as wingdings instead of using shapes. It allows for quite a sophisticated looking line with minimal effort. If you pick a common enough font, then its likely any recipient will already have it, reducing the need to send additional files.

Attach a drawing and some screen grabs to illustrate.

Regards,

Jason Bourhill

CAD Concepts 

imageCut_Here_2014-10-31_13-28-09.jpg
    imageTelephone_2014-10-31_13-30-41.jpg
    imageDanger_2014-10-31_13-31-41.jpg

SymbolLinetypesExample.zip

• You are unlikely to remember to send that SHX font when someone askes for that drawing a few months from now. So, be sure to only use a a SHX font that AutoCAD already provides.

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.