Any way to put toolbars on the window title or on pull-down menu-bar?

As computer monitors got wider, the unused areas of the top of the screen got bigger.  We even lost some vertical resolution on our monitors, when the consumer oriented HD video standard took hold.

The area on the window title-bar and to the right of the pull-down menus is the unused area I am talking about.  Sometimes, when I want some more toolbars I will just drag one to the top of the screen as far as I can, so that the name of the toolbar is a bit chopped-off, and it covers only a little of the toolbars docked on the top of the drawing area.  See my attached image for an example.  Note that my screen grab was not cropped at the top, and does show the top of my monitor as I see it.

The main drawback to this approach is that those menu positions are not remembered, and will move down into the drawing area when ever BricsCAD is restarted. I imagine that this is because it is not an official docked area, and because it is partially obscuring another menu area, and is itself partially obscured by going off the top of the computer monitor.

Is there any other way to put some toolbars in this area, to recover some of this unused screen real estate?

-Joe

Comments

•  As computer monitors got wider, the unused areas of the top of the screen got bigger.  We even lost some vertical resolution on our monitors, when the consumer oriented HD video standard took hold.

The area on the window title-bar and to the right of the pull-down menus is the unused area I am talking about.  Sometimes, when I want some more toolbars I will just drag one to the top of the screen as far as I can, so that the name of the toolbar is a bit chopped-off, and it covers only a little of the toolbars docked on the top of the drawing area.  See my attached image for an example.  Note that my screen grab was not cropped at the top, and does show the top of my monitor as I see it.

The main drawback to this approach is that those menu positions are not remembered, and will move down into the drawing area when ever BricsCAD is restarted. I imagine that this is because it is not an official docked area, and because it is partially obscuring another menu area, and is itself partially obscured by going off the top of the computer monitor.

Is there any other way to put some toolbars in this area, to recover some of this unused screen real estate?

-Joe

You can stack them up on the side, bring the aspect ratio back into reality....
  • The point was to put some unused space to use.

There is another unused space that I was not able to make use of in past versions.  The command prompt screen spans the entire drawing width  and in the past you could not put a tool bar in this area.  But, I just discovered that in version 14, you can! 
  •  I spoke a little too soon. While the toolbars will dock to the right of the command prompt screen, when you exit Bricscad, and restart it, the tool bars move above the command prompt screen.
  • Joe, I'm pretty jealous of screen space too, but I never thought about the space wasted by the title bar. Now that you mention it, I do keep my Sketchup palettes up there, normally rolled up so that each palette is just a bar.

I don't use any toolbars in Bricscad, but your idea of dragging one up so high that it's partly off-screen got me thinking. You could drag the Bricscad window up so that the title bar is off-screen. And I, with my Windows taskbar at the top of the screen, could tuck the title bar up under it, as in the attached screenshot.

And since you mentioned the command prompt screen area, I'm wondering why I even use that. I still enter almost all commands from the keyboard, but I don't think I ever look at the command prompt area any more, except to read distances and areas; and I could do in other ways.
    imageTopOfScreen.png
This discussion has been closed.