3D snap in V15 not working properly

very annoying and wierd behavior when drawing in 3D view, simple snaps don't work correct, it doesn't find endpoints, sometimes it snaps to the complete other side of the endpoint of a line... all default settings. Switching between 2D or 3D workspace CUI doesn't help.
switched back to earlier version.

Comments

• Apparently this has to do with the UCSDETECT parameter, turn it off and snaps work like expected. It appears that not all objects behind solids are detected when UCSDETECT is turned on. This is however not similar behavior like in f.e. ACAD2014. Turning UCSDETECT on or off does not influence snap behavior for any of the (solid or line) objects endpoints, midpoints centers...

•  I have a similar, reproducible problem where the entity snap boxes show up in the wrong places, although the actual snaps attach to the intended point. The attached PDFs illustrate it. An arc (center-start-end) is drawn with the center a "snap to the middle" between two corners of the flats. The start and end snap boxes appear offset from the actual terminations. It *looks* like they are at Z=0; the plane of the arc is at Z=-1. SR49323 refers.

Sadly, DUCS / UCSDETECT doesn't seem to affect this particular behavior, other than making it hard to get the arc positioned. I finally gave up. ;-) It's also not OSNAPZ (which is "off"), as the actual drawn arc plane is at the targeted Z=-1 but that is where the snap boxes do seem to want to draw themselves.

FloatingSnap_DUCS.pdfFloatingSnap.pdf

• Richard you may want to look at your OSNAPZ setting.
    Oops, I did not read your second paragraph.

Yes, I think that it's related to something deep in the code that touches OSNAPZ but the behavior is different.

With OSNAPZ turned on, the Z coordinate is forced to equal ELEVATION (default = 0) and the resulting entity is drawn with that coordinate. See the attached for a similar drawing with OSNAPZ set on. The arc is offset away from the boxes.

The odd behavior I'm experiencing (with OSNAPZ off) is that while the arc will be drawn at the intended coordinates (Z=-1 in this example) at the corners of the boxes, the marker that indicates the snap point gets offset to Z=0.

The odd behavior does not happen with all entities. Drawing a line between two corners of the boxes, for example, puts the snap boxes over the expected points.

OSNAPZ.pdfLine.pdf

• Oops, I did not read your second paragraph.

Nor I your second message.  ::sigh::  We're spoiled by instant communications that aren't quite.
This discussion has been closed.