Trouble selecting entities when using boolean operations in 3D modeling

Hi - just want to see if anyone else is running into the issue that I'm seeing, or have advice on what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the scenario...  I have a solid cylinder that is 3" in diameter and 6" long.  I have another cylinder that extends out of the end of the 3" cylinder that is 1.5" in diameter, that extends out 1/2".  What I want to do is subtract the smaller cylinder from the larger, creating a tube that is 3" out dia. and 1.5" inner dia.

So, I enter in SUBTRACT in the command line and it asks for the entity that you want to subtract from.  Here's where my problem comes in.  It will only allow me to select the entire object (both cylinders combined), not just the larger cylinder.

If I run any other command, or just hover the cursor over the drawing, I can select each individual entity (faces, extrusions, etc).  When running a Boolean command, it will only allow me to select  all or nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Hello Dan,

Could you please attach a sample model here?
  • Hi,

I can get it work if I stack 3 primitive solids together (not solids made via EXTRUDE).  It appears that on the mac version when you stack extruded solids (make a box by extruding a rectangle, make a circle on the face of the box and extrude it into a cylinder) that it treats it as if they have been united via the UNION command.

-Dan

• With help from support, I have this working (basically, my lack of knowledge was the issue). It was a matter of setting extrude mode to 1.

-Dan

This discussion has been closed.