Changing the sizes of rectangles

Hi guys,

I am currently evaluation various 3D cad software (incuding solidworks, Spaceclaim and Inventor) and these all see very similar once you get you head round the way they do things.

So far from what I have seen with Bricsys (video etc) I am very impressed on what it can do, but i am struggling with the simplest things.

I understand that you can create the sizes while you are creating lines, squares, circles etc.
But I cant seem to change squares, rectangles and lines joined to create shapes after they are created?
If you draw a circle for example it is very easy to change the size using the property bar but this does not seem possible for rectangles etc.

I want to use this software for engineering purposes mainly 3D modelling, any help would be much appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a way to do this.
Thanks. 

Comments

• No, BricsCAD does not follow a history based modeling approach: no link is maintained between 3d geometry and 2d objects that were used in its creation.
    Instead, BricsCAD strives for intuitive editing of solids by means of interactive 'direct modeling' commands - you'll have to see for yourself if this fits your needs.
  • Hi Lee,

As Knut infers, BricsCAD is primarily a direct modeller. If you want to change something in the model you interact with it directly. This is most easily achieved using the Quad cursor (F12 to toggle on/off). Attach a couple of examples of resizing 2D & 3D objects using it.

When with working using the Quad be mindful of which workspace you're in. The Quad uses your workspace to determine what command options to display when working with objects.

There are numerous videos available on Bricsys.TV that will give you a much better idea of what you can do with BricsCAD, and how to go about doing it.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
    imageWorkspaces.png
    imageWorking with Shapes-Peditext.gif
    imageWorking with Shapes-PushPull.gif
  • Thanks, guys this is similar to the spaceclaim approach from what I can see and is good.
    the gif files are very good Jason, makes things a lot clearer, what software is that?

I have discovered that you can change the reference point when using the push/pull command (3d modelling) by pressing the TAB key after the face is selected, this lets me choose different faces as the reference point and lets me size the 3d object to what i desire.

I can seem to find out how to do this in the 2d drafting options when using the stretch segment command.
    I see from you gif file that you can drag and sent the amount you want stretch or shrink it by, but its more useful to know the total distance.

one other thing i discovered, if you create a 2d object (square) and extrude it to 3d the resize the 3d object the 2d drawing is still there, this can just be deleted or is there another way of do this?

i have attached some screen shots that might explain things more clearly.

image2D Measured from current position.jpg
    image3D Measured from Opposite face.jpg
    image2D How to measure from here.jpg
    image3D Measured from current position.jpg
  • one other thing i discovered, if you create a 2d object (square) and extrude it to 3d the resize the 3d object the 2d drawing is still there, this can just be deleted or is there another way of do this?
    The DELOBJ (Delete Object) system variable lets you choose whether to keep or delete the source entities or to be prompted what to do. Choose SETTINGS in the SETTINGS menu, then type DELOBJ in the search field to set the variable.
  •  Thanks Louis,
    This was already set to [1] Delete profile entries
    but i changed it to prompt which it did, but this deleted the 3d object not the 2d drawing 

this is what im tring to delete inc ase i was not clear
  •  i forgot to add the screen shots

image3d 3.jpg
    image3d 1.jpg
    image2D.jpg
    image3d 2.jpg
  •  Dear Lee
    When extruding a profile, e.g. a rectangle, lying in the face of a solid, it depends on the value of the SELECTIONMODES system variable how you can select the profile. If the 'Boundary Detection' option of SELECTIONMODES is active, the boundary of the profile is selected when you move the cursor inside the profile. The profile itself is not selected then and therefore not deleted after the extrusion. This is because a 'detected boundary' can be defined by more than one profile and by the face of the solid itself. If you move the cursor over a segment of the profile and extrude it then, the profile will be deleted if DELOBJ = ON. The options of the SELECTIONMODES system variable can be toggled in the Selection Modes toolbar: a pressed button indicates the option is set.

•  Thanks Louis, 
    That makes sense now, i was finding that some time it would work and not others.

Is it possible to make the drawing dimension driven - this is why I'm struggling I guess as all the other Cad software I'm testing are dimension driven.

Must say the support on this forum has been excellent.

• Lee,

Boundary detection is an extremely useful tool for working in 3D. This video should give you a better idea of what is possible.
    http://bricsys.tv/m/?new-in-v15---boundary-detection-m161

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • Is it possible to make the drawing dimension driven - this is why I'm struggling I guess as all the other Cad software I'm testing are dimension driven.

Apart from the dynamic dimensions you get with the Extrude or PushPull commands, you can use 3D constraints to control the height of the extrusion: select the top face of the extrusion, then select the reference face and choose 'Add Distance' in the '3D Constraints' command group in the Quad. Use the TAB key to highlight obscured faces of a solid. 3D constraints are managed in the Mechanical Browser panel. Hover over a toolbar, then right click and choose Mechanical Browser in the context menu to open this panel.
This discussion has been closed.