VIEWEXPORT and Mainitaining Connectivity to the Model

Hello:

To start off, a bit of background on what I am doing and how I do it. I have built a model of a component, well a lot of components, and I am now in the process of detailing those components. Typically, each drawing file contains one drawing, so for this project I have about 200 different .dwg files, each containing one drawing, the file is named the same as the drawing number.  The model resides in another directory, just to keep things clean and its file name is the part number, I have used the mechanical tools (no constraints) to insert additional 3D components, both existing and new additions.  The project that I am working on is the as-built drawings for a custom rock drill built by a local drilling company. 

To create a set of drawings from the model I am using the VIEWBASE tools to generate a couple of views in paper space for the model, I then create sections and details as required.  Once the views are created that I need, I use the VIEWEXPORT command to place the views into a new drawing, or into model space and then I COPYCLIP them into the drawing that I am working on.  From there I then edit the block and start to do a bit of cleanup, like running the overkill command, and placing entities on the correct layer (existing stuff goes onto the reference layers and new stuff onto the object layers) so that I can highlight the component being detailed.  The cleanup is rather time consuming and one of the biggest limitations for the VIEWEXPORT/VIEWBASE commands so far - support request filed.

The problem for me is that as I go along detailing various components I am finding discrepancies in my model or things that need to be adjusted to make the fabricators' life a easier.  Once I make a change in the model, all I have to do is flick over to paper space and the program grinds away and updates the generated views. Once the views are updated, I then run the VIEWEXPORT command to get the updated block back into model space where I can then CUTCLIP it out and paste it into the drawing file.  Here is where there is a problem with my method of doing things, if I paste a block into a drawing that already contains that block, the pasted copy is the one in the drawing, not the new version stored in the clipboard from the other drawing.  So, I have to erase the block in the drawing, purge the drawing, then paste the block into the drawing using PASTECLIP, then edit the block and do all the clean up and layer adjustments again.  

There has to be a better way to go about this, export all views to a views drawing and use XREF's but this has a limitation when it comes to using one view for multiple components, since the VIEWBASE command places everything on one of two layers I cannot use viewport overrides to change layer colours to highlight the component that I am dealing with, I have to create individual views for each part that is being detailed and there is still no connectivity between the exported block and the model, so when I make a change in the model everything must still be redone.  The simple solution is to create all of my drawings in the model file and dimension off of the generated views but the problem is the lack of layering -  I can't make a drawing that the fabricators won't throw back at me.  Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?