Toolbar/workspace problem after update

Just updated to the latest on V15 and now my toolbar arrangement is messed up. I had a different set up under the 2D/3D workspaces but now they're the same, so had to manually fix it. Do I need to use profiles to solve this problem or is there an easier way? Still kind of foggy on workspaces and how they work, guess I'll have to study up some more.

Comments

• I had the same issue, the current workspace didn't seem to change, but the 3D workspace that was customized did change a lot.  I tried fixing the workspaces and then doing a save as to a different name for each workspace, hopefully on the next update, the update will change the default 2D workspace and 3D workspace and leave my renamed duplicates as they are.
  • Scott, you're right, the best way would've been to rename them and leave the originals alone. Wonder if there is a limit to the number of workspaces you can have?
  • I just completed the upgrade between V15.3.03 to V15.3.05, in V15.3.03 I had created the renamed duplicates of the original workspaces and also saved the originals, after installing V15.3.05 the renamed duplicates don't appear in the listing in the customize menu and the default workspaces have been reset with the exception of the 2D Drafting workspace which was set to current when I closed V15.3.03 to make the upgrade.  Not sure what I am missing, maybe you have to use a difference .cui file?
  • Workspaces settings are saved to the root cui, which by default is the default.cui. If you've updated BricsCAD, then chances are your default.cui has been reset back to installation defaults. Current ways around this:
    • Store your customized version of the default.cui in a different location, and rename e.g. MY-default.cui. In BricsCAD load this custom menu as your root using the MENU command. The downside to this approach is that you have to manually update when there are changes to the default.cui
    • Create a minimal root cui to capture your workspace settings. Load the default.cui back in as a partial cui. This will update automatically when a new default.cui is installed, but it's more complicated to initially setup.
    Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • For your information:
    when a BricsCAD update is installed, often it includes new commands, so unavoidably the toolbar and menu definitions in the default.cui need an update and the existing default.cui is replaced by an updated one. The definition of the 4 default workspaces (2D Drafting, 3D Modeling, Mechanical and BIM) will also need to be replaced with updated ones.
    Unfortunately many users store their modifications in the default.cui instead of keeping them in a separate cui file, leading to loss of modifications when updating.
    Since BricsCAD V15.3 the installer became a bit more forgiving and now renames the existing default.cui to default.backup.cui instead of just overwriting it with the more recent version.

In case a user had e.g. defined a workspace 'MySpace' stored in the default.cui, then after an update it is now possible to salvage that workspace by using the Import Workspace(s) option of the File menu on the Customize dialog to import 'MySpace' from the default.backup.cui file.
  • How do I create a workspace in a new partial CUI file?  I ran the CUI command, selected File, Create New Partial CUI File, saved it, then in the workspaces tab right clicked and chose insert new workspace, when I open the partial cui file just created there is no reference to the new workspace that I created.
  • How do I create a workspace in a new partial CUI file?  I ran the CUI command, selected File, Create New Partial CUI File, saved it, then in the workspaces tab right clicked and chose insert new workspace, when I open the partial cui file just created there is no reference to the new workspace that I created.

BricsCAD maintains workspaces in the root cui only. you can create workspaces in a partial, but BricsCAD will ignore them on loading.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • Maybe somebody can take the time and make some videos for BricsTV on how to work with the CUI files like is being discussed here. Would help the "drafting board" fossils like me "ahem".
This discussion has been closed.