File size bloat

In v15 Trial, my 2D file has grown over last 2 days to 9.5MB, from under 1MB. I tried everything I can think - Purge, Restore, copy graphics (without the hatches and raster) to a fresh file, in both Brics and Acad - makes little difference. It has sevearl large Blocks inserted in many instances - but it had those when the file size was small. The file was started in Acad 2009 and I have round-tripped it a couple of times from Brics's Acad 2013 format to Acad 2007 format and back again.

Any ideas - incl if nec how to post such a large file for people to have a look at?

Comments

• Are the blocks un-exploded ? Exploding blocks bloats file size tremendously....
  • For each drawing view ( i.e. the kind of views generated with the VIEWBASE, VIEWSECTION and VIEWDETAIL commands )   a (hidden) block containing a copy of the modeling entities used as input for the drawing view, is stored in the dwg, by design... This may have caused the bloat you noticed, and this is the main reason that for V16 we are preparing an alternative system to generate BIM drawings.
  • The Blocks are unexpolded.

It's a 2D drawing, so no Views generated from 3D, not even anything in paperspace yet.
  • Please be informed that also during your BricsCAD evaluation period you are entitled to file support requests.
    If you file a support request and attach the drawing we'll be glad to investigate what causes the bloat.

• Thank you - I have done that
  • Since the OP mentions dwg formats: It may be worth looking at the SAVEROUNDTRIP variable.
  • Fantastic service from Vladimir at Support. AIUI it's a bug that makes invisible copies when entities are added/removed from working set in Refedit. My file which had grown from !MB to 9.5MB, was first reduced to 2.7MB, then went back to 5.1 MB. V wrote an ARX ap which deletes all invisible copies in Blocks; after running that my file is down to 1.1MB again. I will continue working, adding/removing from working set in Refedit, probably creating more invisible entities, runing the ARX periodically, until the bug is fixed.
  • Now, a different question maybe - as I continue to work for a short time, since file size was reduced to 1.1MB, I see that file size is now down to 591kB. How can this be?
  • Hello,
    where can I find  the ARX ap which deletes all invisible copies in Blocks ? 

Yours faithfully

Xavier

• Hello,

Any advance on where we can find this ARX ap? I'm with the same problem...

• As it says above, Vladimir at Support provided an .arx to run periodically, which would delete the invisible copies. I have it, but you'd better ask Support, if they want it to still be published. The problem is fixed in current versions.
  • Hello,

Any advance on where we can find this ARX ap? I'm with the same problem...

You should also find that tool in KnowledgeBase ...
    many greetings !
  • Hello Torsten,

Can you be more specific where? I could'nt find it :(

Thanks!

You should also find that tool in KnowledgeBase ...
    many greetings !
  • I've used it, thanks for posting. But somehow, even after the fixinvis command, i'm still having blank drawings weighting between 20~30mb. The solution only scratched the problem, reducing about 1mb of the total size. I still don't know what makes these drawings weight that much. And it only affects some random drawings! Another strange thing, i've discovered that when i save the drawing as AutoCAD 2004, 2007 or 2013, it's size goes to about 5mb, the real drawing size. But i need the drawing to be save on 2000, and when i save again on 2000, it recovers the unreal 30mb size.

Thanks for the attention!

• Since the OP mentions dwg formats: It may be worth looking at the SAVEROUNDTRIP variable.
    Gabriel, have you looked at this variable?
  • Yes Roy, but sadly it changed nothing.

Thanks for the reply!

Gabriel, have you looked at this variable?
  • In general I would expect the file size for an AC 2000 drawing to be larger than the more recent supported dwg formats. The AC 2000 format has less 'internal compression'. But the scenario you hint at: An AC2000 dwg goes from 5 to 30MB simply by saving, sounds strange.

One of the potential causes of bloated files can be dictionaries, in which all sorts of (application) data can be stored. There have been some notorious problems with dictionaries that resulted from importing DGN-linetypes. If you are working with 3rd party dwgs then that is something worth considering.
  • I'm sure it sounds madness, but before i moved on to Brics, i've worked with AutoCAD. And the exactly same problem had affected me once or twice. But then, i got a fix named DgnLsPurge.dll, and it worked. I was hoping that Bricsys had something similar to that on their pockets

• OK, so between the file being 5MB and then 30MB something more has happened than just saving it...
    If the problem is indeed caused by DGN-linetypes this link may be useful:
    https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=48574.msg536490#msg536490

• Roy, you just solved my problem. It was indeed DGN-linetypes related, and that code in the forum worked like a charm.

After the command, the size dropped from 30mb to 5mb, and i was able to save it in 2000 without going back to 30mb. That was great.

Many thanks!

OK, so between the file being 5MB and then 30MB something more has happened than just saving it...
    If the problem is indeed caused by DGN-linetypes this link may be useful:
    https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=48574.msg536490#msg536490

This discussion has been closed.