DWL locking files for drawings.

Got a problem! BricsCAD doesn't create DWL files to lock drawings.  Because of that, when I open a drawing on the "cloud" like in Dropbox, I can't tell if somebody else has the drawing open. With AutoCAD, I had no problem. With BricsCAD, we can really get screwed up not knowing or perhaps thinking that you closed out of a drawing, but you didn't. Then two people are working on the same drawing at the same time. But neither person will know that the other one is working on it. The one who saves last will get the overwrite. The work that the other person put into the drawing will be lost.

Comments

• Does Autocad lock files on Dropbox?  I don't use Dropbox much, but what I see there is more a platform for storing files for download and local use rather than being a traditional file server.  I know that when used with a local file server Bricscad pops up a "file in use" alert if someone else has the file open.
  • Does Autocad lock files on Dropbox?  I don't use Dropbox much, but what I see there is more a platform for storing files for download and local use rather than being a traditional file server.  I know that when used with a local file server Bricscad pops up a "file in use" alert if someone else has the file open.

Yes.  AutoCAD does lock files on Dropbox.  But it doesn't do it the same way that it does on a regular network.  When you open a locked drawing, it doesn't tell you that somebody else has it open.  When you save, it creates a new dwg file and adds "Conflicted Copy" to the file name. The newest BricsCAD version that I downloaded for my laptop is a newer version than what I downloaded for my desktop and it creates dwl and dwl2 files and locks the drawings now like AutoCAD.  But my desktop's version doesn't.  unless that changed after I activated the license.  I'll have to check that out.

• New in BricsCAD V16:

DRAWING LOCK FILE SYSTEM:

• While a drawing is open, .dwl and .dwl2 files are temporarily created.

• The content of the lock files allows to inform other users trying to open that drawing, that it is in use, since when, and by whom.

• WHOHAS: command to display ownership information for a selected drawing file.

This discussion has been closed.