Sheet metal procedure headache!

Attached are two images of a sheet metal part 12GA thickness. It took me at least a day to model the cap piece (magenta color) and was wondering if some you guru's out there have any tips to model it quickly. Part of my problem is getting confused about the polyline/UCS relationship when creating a profile, but also not being able to move a corner of a solid at the exclusion of the other corners is also making it difficult. I wish in the future Brics could come up with being able to create a profile without having to rely on the UCS or polylines. 3D polylines help but you can't to do arcs, or not that I'm aware of.

At any rate I ended up making it in three separate sections, with the large curved section giving me the most trouble. Then I did a union, made it a sheet metal part & unfolded it. The large curve piece was made by drawing a profile on the corner of the red section and extruding it over past the yellow piece, then trimming it with a temporary cylinder extruded off the yellow piece - lots and lots of trial & error here. Sorry for the mouthful.

Comments

• I don't know if you can create sheet metal parts from a 'shelled' solid. If you can this may work.
    See attached image:
    1. Create 3 polylines in 3D space.
    2. Extrude the red and yellow polyline.
    3. Subtract the yellow solid from the red one.
    4. Extrude the magenta polyline.
    5. Intersect the 2 solids.
    5. Shell the resulting solid and turn it into sheet metal parts.
    imageCurved_3DSolid.png
  • Thanks for the input Roy, I have to do some experimenting with the procedures you outlined.
  • I don't know if you can create sheet metal parts from a 'shelled' solid. If you can this may work.

Just to confirm this is possible. Damian Harkin prepared a series on sheet metal that starts using a shelled solid.
    http://bricsys.tv/m/?sheetmetal-parametric-workbench-part-1-m217

Once shelled you can break it down into separate parts for unfolding

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • Thanks for confirming this Jason. Thanks also for the link.
This discussion has been closed.