Quad Cursor - 3D vs 2D Controls

I am stuck on something rather simple and was hoping somebody could help me out; the QUAD cursor is controlled by a variable or setting that differentiates between 2D and 3D, when this setting is set to 2D you get only 2D tools in the quad and when it is set to 3D you get the 3D and direct modeling tools.  I have created a new 3D workspace (from the default 2D workspace) and now when I turn on the quad I don't have any 3D tools available, only those available for a 2D drawing.  If I switch to the 3D Modeling workspace as shipped with the software the 3D tools are available in the quad - any ideas what I might be missing?  I am trying to avoid recreating the workspace if possible.

Comments

• In the _CUSTOMIZE dialog go to the 'Workspace' tab. In the left panel expand the 'Quad Group Order node' of your workspace. To make a greyed-out group available select it, and in the lower panel change its state to on.
  • I would prefer if I could get the Quad , to be connected to the workspace. Is there a way? The QUAD is an absolute pain when working in 2d, not to mention the boundary detection. I just noticed that changing the workspace closes "boundary detect" right now but I have had broblems with it sow I dont know how I made it.
  • ... The QUAD is an absolute pain when working in 2d, not to mention the boundary detection. I just noticed that changing the workspace closes "boundary detect" right now but I have had broblems with it sow I dont know how I made it.
    Boundary Detection is controlled by bitcode 4 of the SELECTIONMODES system variable. If SELECTIONMODES = 0, 1, 2 or 3 there will be no boundary detection. You can set the SELECTIONMODES system variable using the tools on the Selection Modes toolbar.
  • Yes but what im getting at here is that going in to 3d-space there may be a few other settings that should be altered. För example I have OSNAPZ to on in my startup LISP because its importande in most of my 2D work, but I would like it to be off as soon as I move to 3D. Possibly it would invoke a new 3D_load.lsp . Im figuring that more people than me would like a different setup in 2D and 3D. 99% of what I do is 2D but every once in awhile I need to visualize somthing.
  • The Customize command brings up the Customize dialog, on which you select the Workspaces tab.
    For each Workspace a number of actions can be defined that should occur 'On Switch', e.g. for the Mechanical workspace you will see that the selectionmodes variable is set to value 7 by specifying a command string like "'_setvar;SELECTIONMODES;7"

You can use this approach to set OSNAPZ or any other system variables upon switching between workspaces.

Besides the 'On Switch' setting, there is also the possibility to control which 'Quad Groups' will be displayed in a certain Workspace.
    To completely deactivate the Quad in a workspace, set the QUADDISPLAY variable to a negative value.
  • @ Patrik:
    If you switch workspaces some settings are already changed by default (default.cui).
    You can change/extend this behavior in the _CUSTOMIZE dialog:
    > Workspace tab > Left panel > Expand nodes (if required) > Expand the 'On Switch' node for the required workspace > Change/Remove/Add actions.
  • Aaahhh, Did not see this before. I will give it a try THANKS.
This discussion has been closed.