Layer Groups

I know this has been discussed a while back, but wondered how others manage (deal) with such.

I realise layer names can make life simpler in a dramatic way, but my layers originate from my surveying attributes and the resulting layer names I create.
So it's not easy to grab a series of layers.
The dwg originates in another program.

I would like to be able to select layers from Drawing Explorer and deal with them in terms of On, Off, Print etc. and in Viewports
I could do that in some way by way of Layer State, but that doesn't always (most times) suit my work.

Any ideas, routines, applications etc appreciated thanks.

Comments

• You could try looking at Layer Filters, which you can turn on from the view menu in the drawing explorer, or by picking on its icon in the layer manager window. Layer filters allow you to filter layers based on name and properties. The created filters can be saved in your drawing.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • If you have control over the layer names, I still use two script files to swap often between two groups of layers common to all my jobs.
    One freezes all the layers with names BW* and thaws those with DW*, the other is basically vice versa.
  • Thanks Jason
    I looked at that but it was a bit daunting on casual look - as in time consuming.
    I was hoping to just select my layers at random Ctrl mouse clicks and "Group" as in other options (On/Off, Freeze etc)

John my layers are named towards their type of or application in my surveying world and whilst I could rename and create a more ordered structure it would mean all my data recorder and line , code treatment would need changing and probably become a bit heady.
    However it maybe something I could consider (should) but that is a big job to ensure continuity across 3 different platforms. When I bring it into Bricscad and introduce the plan drawing exercise is when it gets exciting.

I'll have another look at filters.

I maybe missing the obvious?

• Thanks Jason
    I looked at that but it was a bit daunting on casual look - as in time consuming.
    I was hoping to just select my layers at random Ctrl mouse clicks and "Group" as in other options (On/Off, Freeze etc)

Richard,
    Yes Layer Filters are rather slow to setup, but they can be very useful when dealing with drawings with lots of different layers. The trick is to set the layer filters up on your standard template. This makes them available automatically when kicking off a new drawing in the same manner as text styles, dimension styles etc..

There is a video waiting for release on Bricsys.TV that goes through using Layer Filters.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 
  • Thanks again.
    I will definitely revisit this now you mention its availability by way of a template(s).
    Makes a lot of sense.

I'll look at my survey setup and perhaps tweak that too, as it needs to work together.

(ah - how I wish they'd embrace BricsCad)
  • Another approach I have not seen mentioned yet, are layer states.   This allows you to save your current settings for all the layers.  Though, any new layers will not be part of that setting.

I have a standard way of setting the layer states up, so that I can use them with a few macro buttons.  I have one layer state named "1", and another "2".  So my two buttons allow me to toggle those layer states.  The macro has the following for layer state 1.
    ^c^c-la;a;r;1;;;

Another related approach is that I put all my dimensions on layers that have the word "dim" in its name.  Then, I have a macro that turns off all layers named "*dim*".

-Joe
  • Joe I use Layer States a lot and they are very valuable.

My main need for 'Grouped Layers' is in Paperspace and saw them as independent of Layer States.
    That way I would be ensured of plotting what I want across all my drawings.
    But then I suppose templates carry forward layer states too.
    I'll explore more.

This discussion has been closed.