Linetype & display

Here is a very basic question -- how do I get dashed linetypes to display as dashed, rather than continuous? Ltscale doesn't make any difference.I have old drawings that display properly, and I can't seem to get the one I'm trying to complete to display anything but solid lines.Arrrrggggghhhhh!

Comments

• How high were you going on the ltscale? On some old drawings, I had to go as high as 600 on the ltscale to see a difference....but most of the time a ltscale of 120 is correct.Hope this helps...BLT

• There are two settings that influence dashed linetypes: Linetype Scale and Global Linetype Scale. In general linetypes are defined using inches. Therefore the Linetye Scale should be set to 1 if you also use inches as your drawing unit. If centimeters are your drawing unit, set linetypescale to 2.54, for mm linetypescale is 25.4. Global Linetypescale is set according to the scale you want to plot your drawing: e.g. 100 if you plot at 1/100.Both settings are defined in the Drawng Settings > Entity Creation. Once you have good settings, save such drawing as your template drawing.

• Thanks to both of you. I'm not out of the woods yet, and will have to come back to this later.Somehow my 'bylayer" settings (in two places, I think) were changed to specific line types, i.e., "continuous" or "hidden". I've been moving drawings back-and-forth with SketchUp, so that may have something to do with it.

• Another thing I've noticed:In Intellicad explorer, a layer can show "hidden" linetype, while at the same time, the 'current linetype' window at the bottom of the screen can say "continuous", and lines created will be continuous even if created on the "hidden" linetype's layer.This is very confusing to me.I had thought that the "current linetype" window was controlling the layer -- apparently not.

• The linetype, color, etc., boxes at the bottom of the screen will allow you to over-ride the layer setting by "right clicking" on the box and selecting a new current linetype or color, etc. It is a handy tool.

• Set the "hidden" layer (layer with hidden linetype) active, and set the linetype to "bylayer". The linetype won't control the layer, but the layer will control the linetype if the linetype is set to bylayer.Louis,Thank you for your linetype scale explanation.

This discussion has been closed.