Upgrading to Platinum

Hi,
I don't see any chance to upgrade to the Platinum version except for v16 that doesn't even exists on Mac.
I'm pretty sure v16 can be bought and v15 will run with this serial right ? That would also mean that I need to buy the sheet metal module for additional bucks while its still implemented in v15 Platinum ?

I'm curious what gets extracted in future versions.....I spent some time thinking about buying Bricscad in the past and was happy to see I could upgrade to all functions with the Platinum when needed. I'm upset to see how things work out now....

Comments

• Hello Steffen,

Let me explain: we have kept “Sheet Metal” within the Platinum version for as long as we considered it not enough matured to become a stand alone module. This year we decided it is a mature piece of software - you seem to have experience with other sheet metal products, so I ask you please compare ours with the rest, including the price.

We have developed a generic 3D direct modeling technology within .dwg. We have 2 versions of it: the Pro and Platinum. The latter has a lot more generic functionality in it which you can find on our website at http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/editions/ . As you see there indeed we also use the Platinum to introduce vertical products - we did that with Sheet Metal two years ago and with BIM last year. Our strategy is not to try to compete on a general level with CATIA , NX, ProEngineer etc. Our strategy is to pick out some vertical markets where we think we can play a forefront role by offering a really break through technology and differentiate from existing mainstream software products. But because these will be “vertical markets” it makes no sense that everybody pays a contribution to that while maybe not being interested in that vertical application. So for us it is logical to deliver this - when matured - as a vertical module extra on Platinum. Honestly I think that a price level of 250 Euro extra for the offered functionality is a bargain. Will we do this in the future again - most probably the BIM module will be split off next year in the same way and as far as I think it will be at a comparable price level. We are convinced that what we deliver is worth every buck. We do our utterly best to deliver top notch technology for the best price. But we learn underway as well, especially from this first "extra-module" case: in the future, if we split off BIM, we will offer existing Platinum users an extra discount to upgrade for the then extra BIM module and we will communicate that transparently upfront to all our customers.

Of course we will not take away generic functions and features - other than really recognizable vertical modules - from Platinum as you questioned.

It is our only intention to satisfy our customers and be as transparent as possible. There is no obscure or dark strategy behind it. 

Hope you understand

Best regards,   erik 

• Hello Steffen,

Let me explain: we have kept “Sheet Metal” within the Platinum version for as long as we considered it not enough matured to become a stand alone module. This year we decided it is a mature piece of software - you seem to have experience with other sheet metal products, so I ask you please compare ours with the rest, including the price.

We have developed a generic 3D direct modeling technology within .dwg. We have 2 versions of it: the Pro and Platinum. The latter has a lot more generic functionality in it which you can find on our website at http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/editions/ . As you see there indeed we also use the Platinum to introduce vertical products - we did that with Sheet Metal two years ago and with BIM last year. Our strategy is not to try to compete on a general level with CATIA , NX, ProEngineer etc. Our strategy is to pick out some vertical markets where we think we can play a forefront role by offering a really break through technology and differentiate from existing mainstream software products. But because these will be “vertical markets” it makes no sense that everybody pays a contribution to that while maybe not being interested in that vertical application. So for us it is logical to deliver this - when matured - as a vertical module extra on Platinum. Honestly I think that a price level of 250 Euro extra for the offered functionality is a bargain. Will we do this in the future again - most probably the BIM module will be split off next year in the same way and as far as I think it will be at a comparable price level. We are convinced that what we deliver is worth every buck. We do our utterly best to deliver top notch technology for the best price. But we learn underway as well, especially from this first "extra-module" case: in the future, if we split off BIM, we will offer existing Platinum users an extra discount to upgrade for the then extra BIM module and we will communicate that transparently upfront to all our customers.

Of course we will not take away generic functions and features - other than really recognizable vertical modules - from Platinum as you questioned.

It is our only intention to satisfy our customers and be as transparent as possible. There is no obscure or dark strategy behind it. 

Hope you understand

Best regards,   erik 

No I don't understand.

When I made the choice to go for BricsCad I was happy to see that one licence supports the most common platforms. I was also happy to see that WHEN I'd need more functionality I'll be able to upgrade to the Platinum version and will be set. That was the fact before I made my choice to go for BricsCAD. Also it was nice to see that there are basically 3 products. I don't need to split everything and recalculate what modules I need to add. This makes things more complicated than it was before.
    Now my and other peoples chance is gone to upgrade to Platinum and be set for everything. Instead of paying 300€ I'm now in for 600€. Who knows what the future will bring.
    If I knew in advance that Bricsys would split their products my choice would be something else. I'm waiting for the day Bricsys will go the Autocad route with subscriptions. People who are currently looking to buy BricsCAD are aware of the fact that the module is sold separatly - not though your earlier customers. I don't think this is fair!

• I don't get it either.
    I mean I understand the idea and intention of the vertical markets, fine.

But then the detailed Feature Table is ... kind of .... wrong or misleadingly.

I read that carefully about the features I would need when going Bricscad.
    If I would, I will do BIM, so I need Platinum.
    There is only marginal difference between Pro and Platinum, if you exclude
    Sheet Metal, BIM and Communicator. So why should I chose Platinum
    at all, why not just Pro or maybe even Basic - just because it is needed
    for licensing issues ?

I think at least there should be a hint in the Feature Table that all these
    Platinum Goodies are temporary only.

This discussion has been closed.