Problem copying ordinate dimensions

We often use ordinate dimensions to show height of a point etc. Typically, the origin would be at Y=0 for all such dimensions and a triangular tick mark is copied along with the dimension text. No extension lines etc. are to be drawn. The normal procedure is as follows:
1. Create first such dimension (often copying from a different drawing and stretching the origin to desired level)
2. Select the dimension and the tick mark
3. Press and hold Ctrl
4. Left click at the insertion point
5. Still holding the Ctrl, drag the mouse to a new position and left click
6. For additional copies, release Ctrl key and click on locations to place the new dimension and tick mark
The described procedure is shown in Autocad.avi file attached.

In Bricscad, this does not work for me - see Bricscad.avi file. The dimensions created in Autocad are shown correctly in Bricscad, What am I doing wrong? How can such functionality be achieved?

The dwg file is attached as well.

Many thanks
Vaclav

Comments

• Im guessing single copy mode. Search in settings for copy set "automatic repeat".
  • Im guessing single copy mode. Search in settings for copy set "automatic repeat".

Unfortunately not, i already have the default Copy mode=0(repeat automatically). In fact, the problem occurs in the first copy operation. But dimension entity is moved instead of copied. Moreover, see the odd dimension lines which suddenly appear at the original position.
    Best regard,
    Vaclav
  • Seems I was wrong I dont use this.  I dont know how its supposed to work but mu guess its buggy. If I copy an item and move the dimension it only changes from its original state. Post  to support.

imageordinate.jpg
  •  If you go back some years, it was not possible to copy AutoCAD ordinate dimensions in the way you showed, and AutoCAD behaved the way BricsCAD does.

I.e. If you copied an ordinate dimension, both the base and dimensioned defpoint were moved.  So, you would then have to move each ordinate dimensions origin back to where it belonged. So, if you wanted another ordinate dimension, the normal process was to move the origin of the UCS to where the origin of the ordinate dimension should be.  Then, you would create your new originate dimension.

-Joe
  • On the DIMORDINATE  I would raise a support request including your files. I think there are two reasons why it isn't working:
    1. The format of the Ordinate dimension in AutoCAD is being governed by a child dimstyle. BricsCAD doesn't support dimension families.
    2. BricsCAD doesn't seem to provide an option to override or suppress the leader running to the ordinate text.

As an alternative to using an ordinate dimension, you could try using a attributed block with a FIELD that references back to the blocks insertion point. See attached drawing as an example. If you have access to AutoCAD, then you can setup this field to self reference when defining. In BricsCAD you have to create the field with an already inserted block, from there you can copy it to new locations.

Regards, Jason Bourhill CAD Concepts 

DimOrdProblem-Field.dwg

This discussion has been closed.