Negative image of print? Subtract print from a solid fill?

I rarely make signs.  Today I started BricsCAD (V14), opened a 2D workspace, and created a safety sign with red text on a yellow field.  I drew a rectangle, filled it with a solid hatch (yellow), then over-laid multi-line block text (red).   I was reasonably happy with the yellow printed by our color laser, but the red looked pale orange.  Perhaps because BricsCAD is printing a solid yellow field, then printing red text on top of that?     

I can't add the hatch after the text.   The Hatch tool doesn't know the text is there.     I don't think there is any way to subtract a copy of the text from the hatch. 

Anyone know how do I fix this?

Comments

• Search help for MTEXT background mask.  If ouy want a whipeout of an area solid hatch with color 255 ( background).
  • This may be a merge control issue.
    Try editing your plotter configuration and on the 'Settings' tab change 'Merge Control' to 'Lines Overwrite'.

Alternatively, using the TXTEXP command may be useful. It will produce an outline of TTF text, which you can use for hatching.

Finally, creating a PDF and printing that, should also work.
  • Search help for MTEXT background mask.  If you want a wipeout of an area solid hatch with color 255 ( background).

Thanks Patrik.  I just found the background mask, and set the color for it to yellow.  I used that instead of the solid hatch.  But not sure that eliminates the yellow color from being printed under the red text. 
  • This may be a merge control issue.
    Try editing your plotter configuration and on the 'Settings' tab change 'Merge Control' to 'Lines Overwrite'.

Alternatively, using the TXTEXP command may be useful. It will produce an outline of TTF text, which you can use for hatching.

Finally, creating a PDF and printing that, should also work.

Thanks Roy!  TXTEXP is really slick!   I hatched to the outlines, then moved a copy of my text into the empty space.  I will give Lines Overwrite a try too. 
  • Turns out  "Lines Overwrite" was already set.  The big problem was the printer.  

But I will remember TXTEXP..  That will come in handy. 

Thanks again to everyone.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!