Batch Rename multiple layers

In AutoCAD - when i want to add a prefix to the layer names, I used the RENAME command end was able to batch rename all layers so I could add a prefix to the start of evey layer, or remove common text (say from an XREF path) of each layer to shorten the name length.

eg. I want to add ''SURVEY_'' to the start of each layer name, there could be hundreds of layers.

How do I do this in BricsCAD?

The RENAME command is different.

Comments

• Alex,

Try the attached lisp file that I created.  After loading type LP at the command line to initiate the command and you will be prompted enter the prefix that you would like to add to all layers. The function will not add the prefix to the 0 and Defpoints layers.

Regards,

Kevin

Layprefix.lsp

• Thanks Kevin,

No what about if I want to remove a prefix, say when a very long layer name contains the same characters for the first 20 or so letters with the original layer name right at the end?
  • Hi Alex,

If you wish to consider a third-party tool, try our CADPower software. There are a Layer Manager tools which does exactly this and much more to your layers.

www.coordsys.com/cadpower

Layer Manager Help

Let me know if you need any help.

Best Regards
    Rakesh Rao
    Smarter .dwg CAD
    imagelayerman.gif
  • Alex,
    Sorry, I just saw your post.  I am currently creating an application specifically for Land Surveyors to run in BricsCAD. Since my last post I have modified the lisp file that I posted for you to try and plan on including it in my surveying application along with some other layer tools.  Can you send me an example .dwg containing the layers that you mentioned along with a description of what you want to do, so I can test my function on it.  Once I test and and make any adjustments to the code if needed, I will gladly send you the function to try.  You can send it to kevin@cadtechie.com

Many Thanks,
    Kevin
This discussion has been closed.