Autoloader or how to load automatically .net assembly

Hello guys, 

Here is explained how to make BricsCAD loads an assembly on startup. It is mentioned too, about AutoCAD's approach of doing that thing: automatically scans for Package.Contents xml in ApplicationPlugins folder and loads inscribed files. No doubt, it is possible to accomplish that task, using windows registry.

We are making simple application with new commands for AutoCAD and recently for BricsCAD. The application is installed on clients computers through MSI package. Installation process is just Xcopying dlls and resource files(png, xml, dwg etc.) into clients' ApplicationPlugins folder and when they start AutoCAD, it automatically loads our dlls.

Could you give me a direction, how to make BricsCAD to load our assemblies from ApplicationPlugins folder automatically? Maybe this functionality is going to be implemented soon - linked thread above is 2 ears old? 

Comments

• Dear Angel,

that "ApplicationPlugins folder" mechanism is not yet supported by BricsCAD ...
    but "classical" DemandLoad mechanism via Registry is completely supported;
    so your MSI installer could simply add DemandLoad entries (best in HKLM, using ObjectDrx keys)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bricsys\ObjectDRX\

all DemandLoad details are compatible + identical to AutoCAD;
    advantage is, that DemandLoad mechanism works with any AutoCAD + BricsCAD version, while
    "ApplicationPlugins folder" mechanism is only available with more recent AutoCAD.

hope this helps ...
    many greetings !
  • Thank you, for immediate response!
    I hoped to suggest me another option, since a lot of network administrators wouldn't be so happy by the fact, I'm trying to put entries into computer's registry.
    However demand loading mechanism is robust and fully supported so I will go with that!

Many thanks to you, Mr. Moses!

• Dear Angel,
    the normal way should be that your application installer can write to HKLM then ...
    which is the normal way for any software installation, so your admins should not worry about that :-)
    many greetings !
  • Hi Angel,
    have a look at this thread over at  theSwamp.org.....
    http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=31173.msg367509#msg367509
    It may be helpful !
    Regards

• Thank you guys, you are awesome!

I always search theSwamp before I start discussion here ;). Don't want to bother you with questions that could be solved after 10 mins searching the forums with the right keyword.
    Sometimes I just need a verification of the way, that I'm choosing to accomplish the task, by the authority in the field.
    Thank you very much!

Best regards
    Angel
This discussion has been closed.