locking entities

How to lock entities in those parts of the model which are complete, to make sure they're not inadvertently moved or deleted (it happens - to me at least), in a way where they're not faded, and can be individually selected for Hide/Show Entities?
Putting them on a locked layer both fades them and prevents Hide/Show.
Making them into a Block locks them and doesn't fade them but prevents individual Hide/Show.
Any other way?

Comments

• You can stop fading of locked layers. In Settings, set "Locked layer fade control" to 0. Or maybe some low number if you want a slight amount of fade. Right under it is a similar option for the fading of xref's.
  • That's great, as far as fading - thanks - but hide/show of individual entites is important to keep.
    So is there any other way e.g. locking individual elements to provent move or modify, but still able to hide/show, also to snap to, Extend to etc?
  • Sounds like you found a bug: the Hideobjects command shouldn't refuse entities on locked layers. We'll apply a fix.
    In the mean time it may be helpful to know that the Isolate command does allow to hide entities on locked layers...
  • That's great Hans - after you (I think it was) pointed out Hide/Show to me, I don't want to lose it!
  • Note that only locking a layer does not prevent BimDrag changes.
    See:
    http://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/27960
  • That's a bit alarming - but I expect will learn to live with it, with experience. This is where a Bentley-style 'Implied Relationships' toggle would be handy, to switch on/off this drags-with behaviour, globally and/or single-shot for individual moves.
  • Settings>Locked layer fade control won't change from 50 - I change it to 0, or 10, or -1, close, re-open and it's back to 50. Any ideas?
  • Before closing the settings dialog, the new value being entered should be confirmed by pressing Enter, or Tab, or clicking in another field
  • Duuh - of course!
  • Hans said
    "the Hideobjects command shouldn't refuse entities on locked layers. We'll apply a fix.
    In the mean time it may be helpful to know that the Isolate command does allow to hide entities on locked layers..."

For me, I can't Isolate an entity on a locked layer, as well as can't Hide it.
  • If you select all object for the _ISOLATE command, the entities on locked layer will not be isolated and therefore will be hidden.
  • Ah, I see now what Hans meant.
    In practice, selecting an element on a locked layer, then click Isolate, does nothing at all.
    If I do a box-select which includes most (but not all) of the entities in that locked layer, then click Isolate, the whole locked layer (all entities on it) disappears.
This discussion has been closed.