Text not on scale when exporting to PDF from Layout

Hi, got another issue with exporting to pdf. I also have an open ticket with this issue.
Thought I can share it here, too:

I was running into this whilst the final days of a project.
Preparing my layouts I realised that after exporting my layouts to PDF, all test- objects were a lot smaller than seen in layout- space. Even text put directly on a sheet was way smaller.
First I thought that it was a scale, layout, viewport or style thing but after opening a clean template I was able to reproduce the oddness right away.
I´ve included a couple of screenshots and the actual DWG for you to investigate.
Please look into this.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi Clemens,
    I have the same problem and I also have an open ticket because of this.
    A guy from the service-team told me a work around. Here is his answer:

Meanwhile, could you please use 'Print' to PDF?
    For this, install PDFWritter (it is a free and powerfull PDF printer), then select it as printer in 'Print' dialog.
    If you set PDFWritter in 'Page Setup' you could also use it with 'Publish' command.

(FYI:
    PDFWritter save the PDF files into this location:
    'Macintosh HD/users/shared/PDFWriter/'
    which unfortunately is not editable, but you could create an alias folder for easier access.)

Now I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM:

It´s not possible for me to print any file. Regardless which printer (PDF and real) I use.
    It´s always the same: a blank, white sheet of paper/PDF. The plot-preview in BricsCAD shows the same. Just a blank (white) page.

May you try to use the PDFwriter. And tell me if it works for you, please.

Looking forward to fix this problem very soon, cause it´s really not possible to work with this bug. And this is an expensive problem for everyone who needs to work with this application.

My best regards,
    Marcus

plot preview 1.tiff

•  By the way, if you want to use PDFWriter with El Capitan u have to install it in this way:

best regards
  • I can confirm that both issues are not Mac-specific, but occur on Linux as well.

As to the wrong font scaling: this is a long standing problem. A SR that I opened in 2013 / on V13 (#41434) has been followed for some time, but was eventually closed in 2014 / V15 with the comment: "our team is aware about this issue but we don't have short plans to work on this".

I hope this will change one day, but in the mean time, you seem to have two options to get correctly scaled font output:

1.) either you use pdf export with PdfTtfTextAsGeometry enabled, which would result in triangulated text output (a rather crude workaround),
    or
    2.) you print to pdf, which will result - at least with cups-pdf - in text converted to filled paths (it should actually result in text as text if TTFASTEXT has the second bit set, but this is - again on linux - not working at the moment, maybe because ghostscript is used for conversion).

See the attached pdfs for comparison.

As to the second issue (vanishing print output): this happened to me as well, when I tried to print the layout of the originally attached dwg after just setting the "Printer / Plotter configuration"  to my pdf printer. The command history showed:

: _print
    Plotter configuration not found
    You have reached the limits of zooming in. Unable to zoom in any closer.

I then tried to open the page layout again, but this failed with the message:

: CPAGESETUP
    Cannot set d to that value.

My guess is that the paper size did not get correctly initialized in this case, so I closed and reopened the file, chose the pdf-printer again, and then explicitly selected an existing paper size (A4) from the drop-down-list prior to printing - this worked and produced the attached file with cups-pdf in its name.

You'll have to see for yourself if this also clears the problem with pdf-writer; if not, you could give cups-pdf a try.

67223-TextAsGeometry.pdf67223-cups-pdf.pdf

• Hi Knut, thanks a lot for your help!!

But let me get this right... this is a known problem since V13?? So it´s not possible to publish pdf with right scaled text since V13? 
    I can´t believe this, I payed over 700,- € for an application that can´t publish correct pdf files?
    That´s really crazy, to say the least.
    This need to be fixed!!

To use pdf export with text as geometry worked fine for me. Thanks a lot for this tip! And yes, you´re right, it´s a rather crude workaround.

Print to pdf still doesn´t work for me. I did it in the same way as you do, but every time I get a blank file.
    I tried it with PDFwriter, cups and VipRiser. All printers worked fine with other applications like osx`s preview. But with BricsCAD I just get a blank PDF.

I added some screenshots, may you have an other idea to fix this...?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

kind regards

27239-L_SUEDKAMPFBAHN_V2_160129 LAGE.pdfSCREENSHOT plot preview.tiffSCREENSHOT settings.tiff

•  Hi Marcus and Knut,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I have tested installing PDFwriter and VipRiser and using them for making pdfs successfully. And took quite a while to see what the output was, because bricsCad seemed to crash but in the end the pdfs where there. It is a workaround, nothing more.
    Lucky me but no blank pages until now.

I fully agree that a commercial CAD product should be able to publish to pdf without any errors like this.

kind regards 
    Clemens

• Hi Marcus,

the scaling problem did not occur with all fonts when I raised the SR, and printing to pdf always worked for me, so I considered this issue not a pressing one. But if for some reason printing to pdf stops working, that's of course a different story!

I think the problem I described when trying to print the layout may have been due to an invalid "Custom" paper size entry in the ppd file of the cups-pdf printer. But all settings in your page setup look correct, and if you experience the same problem with any printer, it is not likely to be linked to a specific printer description file, but rather to a general configuration problem with cups or bricscad.

In such a situation, I would create a new user and check if the result is still the same in a 'clean' environment - sorry that I cannot provide more help here...
  • I meanwhile had a look at the blank pages output, in context of support request  67170 added by Marcus.
    Enabling "Plot transparencies" causes the empty output.
    As far as I know this is a windows-specific feature that accidentally slipped into the mac/linux version.  On windows this option results in using GDI+ instead of GDI.  (GDI+ supports transparencies, plain GDI does not.)   We are discussing internally how to proceed with this option on mac/linux.

About the text scaling issues: as far as I can tell from task history only specific ttf fonts bring scaling issues.  We will investigate which fonts suffer from this, and document the conditions.

Kind Regards
    Tijs
  • Meanwhile we have further investigated the text scaling issues during PDF export and responded in the support requests.

The conclusion at the moment is:
    on linux/mac, to create a PDF:
    - convert ttf text to geometry, by enabling PDFTTFTEXTASGEOMETRY
    - disable "Plot transparencies"

A knowledge base article will be created to make the current situation more clear.

To schedule further work it would be useful to learn opinions about these options.
    May I assume that at the moment nobody needs "Plot transparencies", and always converting text to geometry is ok for everyone?

Kind Regards
    Tijs Vermeulen
  • Hello Tijs,
    IMO both transparency and working font output ( pfb and otf as well as ttf) are important base functionality and need to be fixed ASAP.
    Almost everything I do ends up in pdf, so these limitations are quite annoying...
  •  Hi Tijs,

I am with Knut. Your suggestions do temporarily serve as a workaround for the bug of Bricscad's pdf- engine.
    But to assume that no one needs these features, I disagree.

I did tests with pdf writer and it failed printing pdfs with a lot of different hatches.
    The Bricscad - pdf - engine did very well, but turned a pdf attached as x-ref into my drawing, into pixel madness.

For now I know what to do and what not to do when working with BricsCad and publishing, but I really would like this issue seen solved as quickly as possible.
    Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Clemens
  • Thanks for the feedback, it is useful!
    Proper scaling of text, even if not converting to geometry, will be further treated with priority.

>May I assume that at the moment nobody needs "Plot transparencies", and always converting text to geometry is ok for everyone?
    Mind that it was a genuine question.  I had not taken this assumption yet.  Actually my question was a bit backward.  PDF output issues are high priority in general, but I wanted confirmation to avoid spending effort on a potentially unwanted feature.

Before I can tell more about plot transparencies it will be further investigated how much work it would be to also implement it in opengl. (as said it is a new V16 feature implemented in GDI+)

Kind Regards
    Tijs
This discussion has been closed.