How to orient UCS?

How do I establish a UCS with one axis lying on a line of random xyz orientation, and another axis strictly horizontal according to World UCS?

Comments

• Tom,
    there are many UCS's  satisfying your assumptions...!
    You can find an example in the Screenshots below.
    The white line has an arbitrary position in 3D space and the red one is horizontal , parallel to X axis WCS.
    Call the UCS command and pick the Points in A, B C sequence....

: UCS
    Specify origin of UCS or Face/NAmed/Entity/Previous/View/X/Y/Z/ZAxis/Move:  A
    Point on X-axis or :  B
    Point on the XY-plane with positive Y value or :  C

The new UCS satisfies your conditions ! The white line lies on the UCS XY plane because A, B and C lie on UCS XY plane by definition.
    I hope this helps...
    Best Regards

imageWCS.jpg
    imageUCS.jpg
  • Thanks, but one of the UCS axes needs to lie on the white line, another UCS axis not on any particular 'red' horizontal line (there isn't one), but just coplanar with a World-UCS horizontal plane.
  • Is this it?
    Set UCS>World.
    UCS>Entity, click on the random line. UCS has X axis lying on the random line as seen in Top view, Y axis horizontal.
    UCS>3-points, click 1 on UCS Origin, 2 on the random line, 3 polar horizontal along the Y axis.

Job done - but am I missing something - can this be simplified?
  •  Hi Tom
    The ZA (Z-axis) option of the UCS command is the solution for your problem. When the ZA option is selected you are prompted to specify two points. The first point is the origin of the UCS, the second point defines the Z-axis. The X-axis is then oriented horizontally with respect to the WCS.
  • Oh wow - it just gets better!
This discussion has been closed.