Text edit window now opening on other monitor

1st a little background.  My #1 monitor, is a smaller one, where I keep the windows home screen. Monitor #2, is where I normally do my work.

• When I start BricsCAD, because of security settings in Windows 7 Pro, we have set BricsCAD to run as administrator.
  • Whenever I don't have BricsCAD running, and double-click on a .dwg file, BricsCAD will open the file on the #1 monitor. Some of the dialog boxes get re-set to open on the #1 monitor.
  • If BricsCAD is already running, double-clicking on a .dwg file will do nothing.

Today,  I did start by double-clicking a .dwg without BricsCAD already up.  And, it opened on #1 as I should have expected.  I dragged the BricsCAD window over to monitor #2.  Then, later on when I double-clicked on some MTEXT to edit it, the edit window opened on monitor #1.  I don't recall it ever doing that before.

I have dragged the text edit window back to the #2, where BricsCAD is running, but the next time I edit text, it goes back to monitor #1.

How can I tell the text edit window to stay with the program?

-Joe

Comments

• Joe,

To be clear:  TEXT or MTEXT?  You use both terms, but they are very different things, and they use different editors.
  • I was talking about the MTEXT editor. 

I rebooted the computer and opened BricsCAD, which went to the 2nd monitor.  Now the MTEXT editor is behaving as it normally did.  Perhaps it was just a fluke.

Though, I do still wish I could somehow set where it will go.  It seems that at least half the time, the MTEXT editor wants to cover up my text.  I see that it normally appears just above the text, which is good. But, for some reason it will not get any closer to the top of the graphics area than the width of the MTEXT editor window, even if it covers up the text.

Ideally I would like to position it at the top of the screen, and keep it there all the time.  But, that doesn't seem to be an option.

-Joe
  • Wish I could help.  My office uses TEXT exclusively.
  • @ Joe:
    What you want is possible with something like AutoHotKey or AutoIt.

Instructions for AutoHotKey:
    Download and install AutoHotKey. Use the 'Installer' download link:
    https://autohotkey.com/download/
    Save the code below in a file with the .ahk extension.
    Double click the file to start the script.
    If you now edit an mtext the dialog should always automatically be moved to a fixed position.
    Change the position in the code to suit your preference.

Code:
    [code]Menu, Tray, NoStandard
    Menu, Tray, Add, MoveMtextDialog Exit, Exit
    Menu, Tray, Tip, MoveMtextDialog is active
    #SingleInstance, Force
    #Persistent

loop {
      WinWaitActive, Text Formatting
      WinMove, Text Formatting, , 5, 5
    }
    Return

Exit:
    ExitApp[/code]
  •  I had actually used AutoHotKey some years ago for a different purpose.  But, I only assumed that keystrokes could trigger actions. I was not aware that events in other programs can trigger a script. 

Thank you for your help.

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.