BricsCAD V16: AutoLISP question. nentselp requires a string argument????

Why is BricsCAD telling me that nentselp is requiring a string argument?  That's insane.  The proper syntax for nentselp is:

(nentselp [optional PROMPT] [PT]).  Originally, I wa getting an error because the point I selected was a 3D point instead of a 2D point.  I fixed that, but now I still get this STRING error.  This routine works perfectly in AutoCAD.  I'm still working on it for BricsCAD and there are a couple of things I'm going to try, but I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Bill DeShawn

Comments

• It would be useful if you stated which version of BricsCAD you're using. Potential it's an issue that has been resolved in a more recent update? I don't see the problem with V16.2, Instead it fails at the command call to ATTEDIT. Looks like BricsCAD has a slightly different command line syntax to AutoCAD.

The Program is missing the RTD function, which I assume is radians to degrees.

You may also like to review your error handler. You can't call commands from here, Instead it is suggested to use command-s. Another approach would be to use vla-startundomark & vla-endundomark

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Why is BricsCAD telling me that nentselp is requiring a string argument?  That's insane.  The proper syntax for nentselp is:

(nentselp [optional PROMPT] [PT]).  Originally, I wa getting an error because the point I selected was a 3D point instead of a 2D point.  I fixed that, but now I still get this STRING error.  This routine works perfectly in AutoCAD.  I'm still working on it for BricsCAD and there are a couple of things I'm going to try, but I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Bill DeShawn

This routine was using text as a model for the attribute, which was OK, but I wrote a new routine that just used the ATTEDIT command.  Regardless, the nentselp function should not be requiring a string.

Bill

• It would be useful if you stated which version of BricsCAD you're using. Potential it's an issue that has been resolved in a more recent update? I don't see the problem with V16.2, Instead it fails at the command call to ATTEDIT. Looks like BricsCAD has a slightly different command line syntax to AutoCAD.

The Program is missing the RTD function, which I assume is radians to degrees.

You may also like to review your error handler. You can't call commands from here, Instead it is suggested to use command-s. Another approach would be to use vla-startundomark & vla-endundomark

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

Thanks for the reply, Jason, but I'm not experiencing any problem with the error handler.  And the routine works flawlessly in AutoCAD.  The error I received was an error associated with the nentselp function.  I'm going to upgrade later to get Visual Lisp, but not yet.  Currently I'm just basic 2-D.  Also, the version of BricsCAD is in the title of the topic. (V16).

Bill

• Thanks for the reply, Jason, but I'm not experiencing any problem with the error handler.  And the routine works flawlessly in AutoCAD.

You won't have any problems with the error handler if you're not striking errors :-). Try temporarily renaming your RTD function call to a non-existant function and re-run in AutoCAD. Doesn't seem to matter if you solely using BricsCAD.

Also, the version of BricsCAD is in the title of the topic. (V16).

With BricsCAD updates within a version number can be significant! There are a large number of new features and fixes included with 16.2 from previous updates. From the release notes it looks like your issue was fixed with V16.1.01

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Dear All,

I just checked :
    (setq res (nentselp))

works correctly in BricsCAD V12 or higher, just checked again ...
    so the error is at a different place ...

Note :
    the error call stack meantions "around", reporting the last-successfully evaluated expression, or the error expression itself ...
    many greetings !
This discussion has been closed.