extracting multiple x,y,z co-ords to upload to total station

Hi,

I need to extract over 200 co-ordinates from an AutoCAD dwg and upload them onto my leica total station but not sure how.  I know how to do it from total station to CAD but I'm a bit of a noive when it comes to CAD to TS, if anyone could point me in he right direction it would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• Try the DATAEXTRACTION command.
  • Please see ApplicationCatalogue ... there should be a number of Freeware + Commercial applications for sirveying branch ...
    as far as I recall, all those TotalStations need very specific + very strict formats.
    many greetings !
  • William I assume your TS will accept ENZ, xyz files.
    What about dxf?
    You will need an interface between the Leica and PC. Leica Geo Office? Do you have  a copy of that?
    There was a free version for simple stuff like this, but may be others.
    But I gather you are familiar so probably have that side sorted.

I gather you want to then set it out.
    Is there local control (on site) and are both your data and any control in true spatial relationship with each other?
    That is all on same coordinate datum.
    Maybe that's in your dwg you are working on.
    Don't get confused with Datums in the real surveying sense - could just confuse.
    Trust you gather what I'm waffling on about.

• Hi William,

If you don't mind considering a third-party commercial application, try our GeoTools program. There is a 30-day evaluation download.

The GT_IMPEX command is a most comprehensive import/export of points and lines data in ASCII format in a variety of CSV, TAB and many other variants as well.

Have a look and tell me if it meets your requirements. Else, I can build a custom tool for your device and add it into GeoTools. There are already a bunch of tools for total station import but I have not checked how they function in real life. I do not have feedback from users who may be using it.

Best Regards
    Rakesh Rao
    Smarter .dwg CAD

• Thanks for the help.

I downloaded a copy of the coordinate extractor from the catalogue so I will give this a go,

I have tried the data extract tool, however when I select the block and extract it to he template it doesn't find any attributes

my EDM will also except DXF files

And yes the drawing is coordinated to the on site control so the information I extract can be used for setting out

Thanks hopefully I replied to you all in this one.  I will post again if I hit a wall, really appreciate he help

• @ William:
    I think something must have gone wrong in your test because the DATAEXTRACTION command can definitely also extract attributes.
    Other commands that may be useful: ATTEXT, SAVEAS (create DXF) and DXFOUT.

This discussion has been closed.