Turn on all snaps

Hi,
there is a button in Bricscad, where I can turn quikly all the entities for
snapping mode "off". But I am missing such a button for "on" mode.
Is there an other possibility to turn all entities "on" quickly?

Halil Aktug

Comments

• It is unwise to have all osnaps (=esnaps) turned on. Especially the '_nearest' snap should not be on be default as it makes snapping to other points (_end, _mid etc.) much harder. To toggle osnaps on/off you can use the button in the status bar. If you want you can create a toolbar button that (re)sets your favourite osnaps by using something like this as the 'command':
    [code]'OSMODE;14815[/code]
  • To turn ON all the entities you've selected, just un-check the box next to "Turn off all snaps"
    or use the toggle button at the bottom of the screen (see image).
    imageEsnap button.jpg
  •  Also, on the keyboard, F3 will toggle your snap settings on and off.  And I strongly agree that you should not turn all snaps on.  The Near snap is especially dangerous.  You only want a sub-set of them to be on.

-Joe
  •  In regards to making a macro on a button to reset the snaps to your favorite selection, the 'OSMODE;14815 is a good method. It is a decimal equivalent to a set of binary switches.  But, rather than figure all that out, you can simply type -OSNAP at the command prompt (the dash before the command prevents BricsCAD from opening the dialog box, and forces it to use the command prompt version) and the prompt will reply with something like this;

New current value for OSMODE (0 to 32767) <5>: 

The number 5 in the <> represents my current setting, which has the ENDPOINT and CEN active.  So, I could use;

'osnap;5;

In a macro to set my osnap toggles back to those settings.

-Joe

• I disagree about using Nearest as a running esnap. I keep it on all the time, and I find that it's very well-behaved. It's only used when none of my other running esnaps apply. My standard running esnaps, 99% of the time, are Nearest, Endpoint, Midpoint, Center, Quadrant, and Intersection. With that combination I rarely have to use any esnap overrides except Perpendicular.

The one I have trouble with is Perpendicular. I'd like to include Perpendicular as one of my standard running esnaps, but I find that it hogs the cursor. It often takes precedence over Endpoint, Midpoint, and Intersection, giving me a point that's slightly off from what I wanted, and just enough off that I don't notice it until a lot of damage has been done. I wish Perpendicular would only be used when no other running esnap applies except Nearest.
  • The problem is not that '_nea' is not 'well-behaved'.

Compare:

OSMODE=515 (_end+_mid+_nea):
    If you want to snap to the '_end' of a line you have to position the cursor so that an actual endpoint falls in the aperture.

OSMODE=3 (_end+_mid):
    If you want to snap to the '_end' of a line you still have to position the aperture over the line but the cursor can be up to 1/4 of the line length away from the endpoint. Most CAD-operators find that this works faster and is less error-prone.
  • Always check the snap marker, which is indicates the currently picked point, before accepting an entity snap. Hitting the TAB key before accepting the entity snap point highlights the entity the esnap is taken on. Repeatedly hitting the TAB key cycles all possible esnaps from the current cursor position.
  • Thank you. Very helpfull.
  • When we are at it, Im having some issues with that the esnaps gets temporarily lost i V16. Anyone else noticed this??? If I move around with he mouse sometimes its just not working, if I move the cursor over a line 5 times all of a sudden it works again. Was unsure if I was doing somthing wrong but today it appeared again, dont know how to repeat. Seems like the aperture goes to zero. Sometimes I have to restart the command. ( without touching the esnaps)

•  Do you have the Geometric Center snap turned on as part of your "standard" snap kit? Working on objects with many choices for for nearby odd-shaped faces does seem to slow down the esnap recognition considerably when that one is enabled.

It's very a very useful snap and I plead guilty to frequently having it on by default but it can slow things down when there's a lot of calculations to run through.
  • No, no strange snaps check this video and you will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6902mj3wprgf3yg/SNAP1.mp4?dl=0

• No, no strange snaps check this video and you will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6902mj3wprgf3yg/SNAP1.mp4?dl=0

We are also having an issue with random non working endpoint snaps. Any outcome  form the previous posts?
    Apparently it happens with faster mouse movements.
  • In Patrick's video, it looks like the square is a polyline with at least two collinear segments forming the top of the square, and there's a vertex just to the left of the upper right corner. A sudden slight mouse movement causes the endpoint snap to select that vertex instead of the one at the corner. Stopping the video at the exact moment of the copy shows that the command thinks an endpoint has been selected, not a nearest. Then that vertex on the copy is correctly placed on the lower left corner of the original.

Nuno, do you have a video showing the problem you're having? Hopefully one that's captured while zoomed in more, so that the resolution is better.
  • Very easily repeatable and very irritating. Happends on all our machines. Just move your mouse around a bit and mousescroll. Support say they cant repeat, I say What?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ou0c4CSi7yaURZV21mX05fN28/view?usp=sharing

• @Patrik: FWIW I can't reproduce the problem either.
  • I get the disappearing endpoint snap marker in v15 occasionally.
    I can't quite identify a sequence causing it, but it I believe it comes on after some fairly demanding operation/s.
    The problem disappears quickly after it happens.
  • As you can see I just start the session and draw a few lines then its very noticable if I choose copy or move and scroll and move the mouse around.

Also editing Mtext sometimes goes blind you cant see what you are doing. then I have to restart.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!