Preventing PDF Export Marking Dwg As Changed

Hi,
I am sure there will be an easy answer to this, but if I want to repeatedly open drawings and export them to PDF, how do I prevent that action from marking the drawing as changed and therefore Bricscad (16.2.08 (x64) rev 42856) from prompting me to save it?
Thanks
Jamie

Comments

• If I use the _EXPORT command to create a PDF the drawing is not marked as changed. So I am not sure why this happens in your case. But I think changing the CloseChecksOnlyFirstBitDBMOD variable is the answer you are looking for.
  • Hello Roy,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately that does not seem to help.

Regards

Jamie

• If using CloseChecksOnlyFirstBitDBMOD=1 does not solve the issue then the conclusion must be that objects in the dwg database have changed.

Maybe if you explain how you export to PDF a solution can be found. It seems you are not using the _EXPORT command.
    Another cause for your problem can be an application that modifies each dwg when it is loaded.

• Are you running v16.2.08 64 bit Roy?

I am exporting using File>Export..., but it's effectively the same as _EXPORT.

Further testing suggests that exporting to pdf from model space does not cause problem I am experiencing, but exporting from a layout does.

Regards

• I confirm your findings. My previous test was done from model space. When used from paper space the _EXPORT command causes to the layout and the main PS viewport to be modified for some reason. This explain why CloseChecksOnlyFirstBitDBMOD=1 does not solve this problem.

Below is some Lisp code that defines a custom ExportAlt command. Seems to work OK on V16.2.08.
    [code](defun c:ExportAlt ()
      (acad-push-dbmod)
      (command "_.export" "~") ; Remove "~" for command line version.
      (while (/= 0 (logand (getvar 'cmdactive) 3))
        (command pause)
      )
      (acad-pop-dbmod)
      (princ)
    )[/code]

• Thanks for that Roy.

I'll log a support ticket.

Regards

Jamie

• Below is the answer to my SR. Personally I don't think it's a very satisfactory answer, particularly as it happens with the simplest of viewports.
    This is not a bug, but a side effect of the fix for export of viewports with complex visual style (e.g. shaded) - for better quality the layout is zoomed to extents temporarily during exporting, so it is treated as changed then .
  •  I have not tried this, but what if you set the read-only bit of the file before generating the PDF.  Bricscad will still try to change it, but RO status will keep the file from changing.  After you exit, you can then change the bit back to read-write.
  • Hello Eric,

Thanks for your comment. The thing is this is just a convenience issue, and your suggestion would actually be as inconvenient as dismissing the Save dialog each time.

I just get infuriated when software companies defend the indefensible, rather than saying something like "yes, we acknowledge this is an inconvenience and will schedule a review of the functionality". In my view the logic should be:

if drawing not marked as changed when PDF export is initiated, then suppress marking as changed when zooming to extents as part of BricsCAD default functionality during PDF export.

Regards

• Hi,
    I am sure there will be an easy answer to this, but if I want to repeatedly open drawings and export them to PDF, how do I prevent that action from marking the drawing as changed and therefore Bricscad (16.2.08 (x64) rev 42856) from prompting me to save it?
    Thanks
    Jamie

Have you tried using PUBLISH? In the 'Publish To:' drop down you can select PDF, which is the same internal PDF used by EXPORT.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Below is the answer to my SR. Personally I don't think it's a very satisfactory answer, particularly as it happens with the simplest of viewports.
    This is not a bug, but a side effect of the fix for export of viewports with complex visual style (e.g. shaded) - for better quality the layout is zoomed to extents temporarily during exporting, so it is treated as changed then .

IMHO they have provided a fix, which in turn has introduced a new bug. Running EXPORT shouldn't lead to any modification of the drawing file. I would try re-opening the SR and argue your case.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Thanks Jason, it's reassuring to know that someone far more experienced in CAD than me agrees. Because it's a fairly trivial issue, and because I see that Bricsys staff monitor this forum, I'll leave it to them to decide whether to do anything about it as part of a future release.

Regards

Jamie

• Dear Jamie,

can you name the support request you had filed ?
    many greetings !
  • Hello Torsten,

The SR number is 68989.

Regards

• All credit to Bricsys. They have reviewed my SR and agreed the behaviour is undesirable and stated they will rework the former fix. Can't say fairer than that.

Jamie

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!