Convert a mechanical assembly back to a 3D drawing?

When I place 3D objects together, I don't usually bother with a "mechanical assembly".   I create the individual 3D objects in the same *.dwg, and fit them together.   The *.dwg that results can be emailed or transferred without worrying about XREF components.     Today however, I created an assembly.   If I send the assembly drawing to someone, I have to send the individual XREFS.     Isn't there a way to convert the mechanical assembly back to a simple 3D drawing which is not dependant on XREFS?

Comments

• I've answered my own question.  I used the _bmDissolve command to do this.     Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
  • Hi Jim,

From SR correspondence Bricsys are aware that ETRANSMIT doesn't currently work with mechanical assemblies. They are working on a solution.

Instead of dissolving the assembly you could instead consider switching the components to being local (blocks rather than xrefs). You can do this from the mechanical browser by right clicking on the top of the assembly tree and selecting 'Switch all to Local'. There is also an option to 'Switch all to external', which does the opposite.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

imageBM-SwitchtoLocal.png
  • Jason,

I tried "Switch All to Local" months ago. It didn't work forme. At least not in my installation. I've stopped creating assemblies (with xrefs). I put all my 3D objects in the same *.DWG. Makes for a big file, but it is preferable to having my assembly broken up.

This discussion has been closed.