Licensing and Upgrades

Apparently there is a lot of confusion about the licensing and whether updates and upgrades are included in the license fee or not. A permanent license is valid for all minor upgrades, which means that it applies to all versions that have the same major version number (e.g. 2.1, 2.2., 2.3.). When there is a major upgrade, e.g. from 2.x to 3.x, you need to pay an upgrade fee. A permanent license means that you can keep using the major version of the softwae permantly. It does not mean that you get all future upgrades for free.In comparison to version 2.x, version 3.x is the result of new development and substantial changes. Therefore a major upgrade is justified. An overview of new features and fixes in version 3.2 can be found at http://www.bricscad.com/about/solutions/design/intellicad/upgrade.jsp?site=1Because of minor changes, mostly fixes that improve the stability of the software, version 3.2 is a minor upgrade. Version 3.1 also accepted license keys for versions 2.x and older. Therefore a new license manager was introduced in version 3.2. All users who already did pay the upgrade fee for version 3.x can acquire a new license key for free. All they have to do is to send an email to backoffice@bricscad.com.

Comments

• This version requires to buy an Upgrade License Key for users of versions2.x.xxxx or older.All users who already have bought a previous version 3.1 can become, ondemand and for free, a new license key with a simple mail to backoffice@bricscad.comWe build in a period of 6 months of testing before we took these decision.The change of license at version 3 would have seemed more natural, but not more fair. In fact, users of version 2 get a free access to 3.1.Eddy WaermoesBusiness Manager BricsCad

• If I understand you correctly if we haven't paid the extra $95 for the upgrade to 3.(whatever) then we are stuck with the version of Intellicad we have downloaded up until 3.2.0001. I paid for first version Bricsnet offered and was never able to use it because of all the major bugs but mostly the polyline bugs. So I continued to use Icad98. There was no version of 2.---- that was workable because again polyline problems and lisp incompatablity with Icad98 plus occasionally crashing. You finally offer 3.1.0009 and things seemed to work better but then old bugs returned and new ones appeared. So heres were I am. I'm still waiting for a version of Intellicad upgraded from Icad98 that I can use on a daily basis.

• Could you be more specific about your problems? I know there are a few polyline quirks, but none that would stop me from using the program altogether. As for Intellicad 98 lisp, I always thought that was a piece of junk and the worst part of IC98. IC2000 lisp/dcl works much more like Autocad lisp, which is good. Version 3.2.0001 is not such a major upgrade from 3.1.0009, If you weren't completely happy with that one, chances are you won't be with 3.2.0001. I admit to some obstacles in the past, which very nearly have made us part with the Intellicad platform. But there are usually workarounds to the problems. For example, we had problems with open files not locking on a network, causing the loss of many hours of work. I wrote an emulation (in lisp) of the old Acad file locking system (.dwk) which took care of the problem. All it took was an inclination to work around the problem instead of banging my head against the BricsWall.

• You guys are doing A TERRIFIC JOB!I love using this program. Well worth the upgrade charge.

• I had problems with polyline widths and joining polylines up to version 3.1.0009. I use a set of lisp routines to do profile design and drafting for plan and profile sheets in civil construction plans. These were developed in Autocad and I am able to use them in Icad98. I haven't been able to use these tools for any version of Intellicad2000 and version 3.1.0009 just sits there after loading the routine and entering the command I do grade calculations, vertical curves , etc., with these routines. Version 3.1.0009 has problems with blocks that I use on a regular basis that Icad98 never has a problem with. The the versions prior to 3.1.0009 also kept locking up or having fatal error problems. I couldn't Invest the time to troubleshoot all these problems and I couldn't trust the program until version 3.1.0009 except it still had the problem of not recognizing the lisp routines and I don't have a large staff to analyse these problems. So for my Investment I've got an expensive set of coasters sitting here in my desk drawer.

• I could take a look at your lisp routine(s) if you send me one. I've already troubleshooted a few lisp routines for Intellicad 2000, maybe I already know the fix for your routines.,

• I use Intellicad for Civil applications as well. I use it with Eagle Point. For a while, the newer versions of Intellicad when used in conjunction with EP on a computer with Win98 would give me many problems. However, with Win NT 4.0(SP6) and XP home version, things are working very well.

This discussion has been closed.