Problems working with compression spring

Hi everyone.  

I was designing a tool that depends on a compression spring.  I downloaded an ACIS spring model  from McMaster Carr and incorporated it into the assembly.   I then wanted to section the tool right down the center axis to see how the spring fits.   I selected the slice command and tried to split the spring along the long axis (ZX plane) , the command  failed, generating the following error message:

Modeling operation error:
edge split at one end: maybe coincident geometries in input body
Slice is failed for object (2E9)

Can someone tell me what this means?

I also tried to generate 2D views of the spring.   The result wasn't correct.   Can anyone tell me how to fix that?

Comments

• Oops sorry.  I thought I attached the spring, but it didn't work.  Here it is.

Spring(2).dwg

• Which version are you using? The problem does not occur in V16.2.15.
  •  McMaster models are normally WAY too detailed, and can easily bog down any cad system.  However, perhaps for a small assembly they are OK.  But, for most things, a detailed model of a fastener or spring is not necessary.  

Springs are also a challenge because they change shape, so you model of the spring will only show it in one situation.  Its diameter will get a bit larger as it compresses. This sort of data is part of any spring engineering design.  So, you might simply model the spring in its two positions, and try both models separately. Though, you might need to only check one version.

-Joe
  • Which version are you using? The problem does not occur in V16.2.15.

Thanks.  V15.3.05.  I asked our IT department to install V16 weeks ago, but no action yet. 
  • @Joe Dunfee:

Thanks Joe.   Not doing anything fancy here.
       I know the spring will expand in diameter under compression, but I wasn't concerned about modeling that.  I cut the spring to the installed (pre-loaded) length without any problem.  Where I ran into problems was slicing the spring lengthwise.  

Acting on a hunch, I downloaded McMaster's STEP model.  That sliced just fine!  I don't know why BricsCAD had problems with the ACIS model. 

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.