Not able to import Sketch up models

I get an error message "Cannot import file..." that it cannot open Sketch up models. I'm using V16. Has anyone tried to import Sketch up models? Do I need to install Sketch up for this to work. That would be a problem in Linux. 

Comments

•  I can try to open that file if you send it to me... Also you need to tell me how to do it! I'm just starting to use BricsCAD!
  • This problem may be related to the file version of the .skp file. I am unable to import a 2016 SketchUp model in BC V16 for Windows. It would be useful to have information about the SketchUp version that is supported by BC, but I have not been able to find it.
  • This problem may be related to the file version of the .skp file. I am unable to import a 2016 SketchUp model in BC V16 for Windows. It would be useful to have information about the SketchUp version that is supported by BC, but I have not been able to find it.

Roy, I checked the header section of some Sketchup files that I've imported successfully into BricsCAD. They look to be Version 15.3.331, which equates to Sketchup 2015. Attach one for reference. I assume based on this and your information, that BricsCAD V16 can import up to Sketchup 2015.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

•  I have try import sketchup model from bricscad v16 linux, also get error, I guess bricscad linux version can't read sketchup file, for sketchup file development function doesn't exist in linux plafform, so it doess not work. 
  • @Jason:
    Thank you for the information. I am not seeing your attached file, maybe something went wrong there.
    FWIW: the file I was unable to import has 6.1.1449 as the version number.

@Sitian:
    Your conclusion may not be correct. According to the documentation the _BimSkpImport command is available in BC Platinum for Linux and the _Import command does not mention any Linux limitations. Clearly the error messages from these commands need to be more informative and supported file versions should be documented somewhere.
  • Oops: The .skp file I was referring to is a 16.1.1449 file.
  •  I saw the same problem for sketchup importer for blender linux, which the skp importer writer said: "Linux support ( the libraries used are only released for Windows and OS X) can't be done. 
  •  My solution is use IFC file to transfer sketchup model to bricscad, it's perfect, mesh and solid are read by bricscad v16 without problem.
This discussion has been closed.