google drive sync problem

I've come across a possible problem with using Google drive with BricsCAD.

The process of saving a drawing seems to be that the current data is saved to a .tmp file then the existing ".dwg" file is renamed to ".bak" before the ".tmp" file is finally renamed to ".dwg".

Unfortunately Google drive see the ".tmp" file and attempts to sync it.  I think that at this point the file is locked and BricsCAD is unable to rename it. Causing a save error.

Not sure if this is what is happening but it is my best guess.

To save my data I have to save it to a different filename then rename it back to the original name.

Before anyone says, "Why am I using Google drive?" you must bear in mind that we often don't get to choose what software systems we use as this is dictated by IT departments.

Comments

•  I experience the same problem and haven't found a solution.
  • All seems to work fine with DropBox.....
  • Dear Michael,

one of our colleagues gave a hint / idea :
    maybe GoogleDrive can be configured not to act on *.tmp files ?

Are you using latest GoolgleDrive version ?

If problem persists, can you send us a SupportRequest with detailed informations, so our analysts could try to reproduce ?
    many greetings !
  • Hi Michael,

This is a known issue with Google Drive, I've struck it myself, and it isn't an issue peculiar to just BricsCAD. Many applications create temporary files in the same folder as the data. Unfortunately Google Drive doesn't provide an option to filter out particular files from syncing. Other applications such as Onedrive & Dropbox do. They also provide you a greater amount of control over which folders you include for syncing. Due to these sort of limitations, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of google products are primarily aimed at the everyday consumer, they are just too simplistic or limiting for Business use.

Possible Workarounds could be:
    • - To pause google sync whilst you're running BricsCAD. Perhaps create a script that does this on startup / shutdown
    • - Create a local working folder and copy files that you want to work on from google drive, then copy back after. You could use ROBOCOPY to automate this process.
    • - Use a 3rd party application like SyncBackPro to sync files instead of the google app. SyncBack has a lot more features than the simple google app.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill

• Ways to enable Google Account disabled due to policy violation
    Get authentication of services offered by Google:
    These services enable the users to get a number of tasks accomplished in less time. Unique services offered by Google are Google docs, Gmail, GTalk, Google Drive and many other services like these.
    Obtain complete details to know how to recover disabled Google Account:
    The users may recover disabled Google Account by applying the ways that are specified here. Step by step execution of these steps will help the users in recovering their disabled Google account. The technical experts may be contacted at any time whenever some problem arises while recovering disabled Google Account.
    Visit: Google couldn't verify this account belongs to you solved
    The users may speak to the experienced technical experts in order to avail the right assistance and guidance to solve the technical glitches.

• Well. Got it fixed. Thank you.