How does one install BRX? Documentation for BRX?

Hello all :+)

I have installed BricsCAD 16.2.14 and have downloaded the BRX tar file (r10243 V16.2.11). Was wondering where I might find instructions to install BRX - have spent quite a bit of time looking for instructions, to no avail. I have a Chapoo account, and am registered as a developer.

With the documentation, am not seeing anything related to C++ BRX - neither the API, nor any related tutorials.

Maybe I am missing something basic? If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great :+)

While I am here, I also have a couple of really minor issues with the BricsCAD itself.

The first is the tooltips background colour is grey, while the the text is white - which makes them hard to see.

The second item is how to get get changes in the settings dialog to be saved? There was a message at the bottom  saying that the value was not loaded. I can makes changes using the system variables, but the that is a bit tedious. I was making alterations to a new dwt file.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies - Regards :+)

Comments

• Dear David,

the background color can be configured in Setting dialog - search for BKGCOLOR;
    the settings are stored in home folder under Bricsys/BricsCAD.

For BRX :
    there is a sample application + CodeBlocks project under ./API folder ... also some instructions;
    for the SDK, you need to register yourself as developer, then you will get access to the SDK, and a free developer license
    (registration is on Bricsys website)

many greetings !
  • Hi Torsten,

Thank you for your reply :+)

> the background color can be configured in Setting dialog - search for BKGCOLOR;

I had already found the setting item for the background colour for the model and paper space. But what I was after was the background colour and font colour for the ToolTips. Maybe I should lodge a bug report?  I think the default values for this should be changed, so that other users don't encounter this problem.

> there is a sample application + CodeBlocks project under ./API folder ... also some instructions;

I can't find this ./API folder, nor the sample project.  I downloaded the BRXSDK_linux_r10243_for_Bcad_V16.2.11.tar.gz file from Chapoo. I gather that I should extract this to a suitable location - BricsCAD is installed in /opt on my machine, so I will put it there. In that file, I found the LinuxBuild.txt - it talks about CodeBlocks and a sample project - but I don't see where these files are. Is there another file to download somewhere?

> for the SDK, you need to register yourself as developer, then you will get access to the SDK, and a free developer license

I had already registered as a developer, and I have a Chapoo account.

Regards :+)
  • Just quickly:

The alteration of settings values is working now, not sure what changed :+)
  • Hello again,

Once I extracted the tar file, I now do have lots of documentation about the BRX classes and functions etc.

Ok so the API folder is there (in the Bricscad installation, as opposed to the BRX files) , but it has 12 header files which seem to relate to SDS.

There is a Support folder: it has a dictionary file and 2 LISP start up files; a basically empty autoload.rx file; and a en_US.aff file.

There is a Samples folder: it has some Mechanical dwg files.

There is a Help folder, but it just has the release notes.

So I seem to be still missing: a CodeBlocks project file; some sample BRX C++ files; some kind of tutorial on to get started with the basics of BRX/ARX.

I tried looking for ARX tutorials from AutoDesk, but not much luck there - they were either really old, or not C++, or too windows oriented.

So I am baffled / discombobulated at the moment :+) Am still thinking there are more files to install from somewhere ......

Regards :+)
  • Dear David,

around 6 months ago we adjusted all the API samples, and the BRX samples should also be included in BRX SDK as well
    (meaning, duplicated on disk - one in BricsCAD install folder, one in extracted BRX folder).

You might send us a support request, about the actual status ... maybe the downloadable packages were not updated (?).

many greetings !
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!