DIMBREAK

It appears as though dimbreak doesn't exist in V17, at least I can't get it to work, I have been requested to break dimension extension lines on a drawing. What are my options for breaking dimensions in V17, stopping the extension lines and manually drawing lines won't be acceptable here. Any suggestions?

Comments

• I would love to see DIMBREAK implemented in BricsCAD. We have already raised  a few requests with Bricsys for the same. It is a small feature but aids in creating pretty dimensions.

Best Regards
    Rakesh Rao
    Smarter .dwg CAD

• A possible workaround would be using small wipeout objects (maybe as a block reference?)  and then following it up with draworder to push it behind the dimension you don't want to be broken, but keeping it in front of the dimension you do want to appear broken. It will be a little tedious to do.

Could explore the possibility of creating a LISP to help automate this task a little.
  • If a dwg with these 'dimbreaks' is opened in BricsCAD, are they displayed? If so can anybody post an example dwg?
  • A dimbreak created in Autocad 2013 is properly rendered in Bricscad V17.1.11.

Drawing 1.dwg

•  I am curious how this feature is supposed to work in AutoCAD.

Obviously, if you are breaking a dimension, it is because the distance between the two points is not shown.  But, if this is in model space or on the same viewport, then the distance is actual. In that situation, you would not want a broken dimension line.

So, I am guessing that this type of dimension is only used in paper space, when dimension between two viewports that are arranged to only show two ends of an object. Is that correct?

-Joe
  •  I am curious how this feature is supposed to work in AutoCAD.

Obviously, if you are breaking a dimension, it is because the distance between the two points is not shown.  But, if this is in model space or on the same viewport, then the distance is actual. In that situation, you would not want a broken dimension line.

So, I am guessing that this type of dimension is only used in paper space, when dimension between two viewports that are arranged to only show two ends of an object. Is that correct?

-Joe

DIMBREAK command best described here:

• @Martin:
    Thank you for the dwg.
    I was hoping that BC would have already implemented some of the underlying functionality. But this is not the case. Any change to the dimension will update the anonymous dimension block ("*D...") referenced by it and remove existing breaks (Tested on V16)

Maybe Scott's problem can be solved by choosing non-continuous linetypes for dim. lines and ext. lines (if the goal is to differentiate them from other linework).
  • Hmm if I move the line or the dim in V17 it still works. Copying the line no good but copying the dim still opens on original line.

• DIMBREAK command best described here:

Thanks for that.  I now realize that I was imagining a foreshortened dimensions.

-Joe
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!